Monday, February 2, 2009

Day Thirty Three...

THE SECOND OF TWENTY EIGHT THINGS I SEE BETWEEN MY HOUSE AND THE HIGHWAY...in no particular order...

More evidence of Lutherans in the areas north of Georgetown, Texas. As I said yesterday, much of this area was settled by folks of Germanic descent, and this Historical (sometimes known as Hysterical Markers) Marker is on FM 1105 just about half-way between our house and the Interstate. A little bit further up the road (closer to our house) is the community of New Corn Hill, and we will talk about that one day when I show you a picture of the Catholic Church there.

I was up before dawn this morning, even though I am supposed to be taking Mondays off, I had to be in the office today for a meeting, and then I have an appointment at the Board of REALTORS at 11:30 AM. So, just to make the best of it, here we are.

After the meeting, I am planning to go by the feed store in Taylor to get some cattle feed that combines cotton seeds and corn, sort of as a supplement for the cattle. I generally feed them cattle cubes once a week or so, but the cotton seed will keep them warmer in the winter...orwhatever it is we consider winter here in Central Texas.

Today is ground-hog day, and the little critter in Punxsutawney (he has a name, it is Phil) apparently saw his shadow, and that means six more weeks of winter. Well, if we get six more weeks of what we have been having, tghat will not be a good thing. It is all good except for the fact that we have had NO RAIN. We really need the rain, and we can't wait much longer for it.

Today has been a pretty good day so far, and it is still early. I think one of the heifers at the farm is getting ready to drop a calf, so that will befun. Farmers call that 'going up the hill' when the heifers are getting ready to calf. I really don't know what to call it, but I usually get really panicky about it, and go a little nuts. This, of course, will be only the second time one of my heifers has had a calf, but I am really ready for it. We shall see.

Okay, I have to do some work here, so I will be back with you later on...
It is now later...I left Austin about 1:30 this afternoon, went to the feed store in Taylor, Texas and then to the PakMail in Taylor. I bought 15 pounds of styrofoam peanuts to put in the bottom of the troughs that we are using for elevated gardens. Then we added the soil and we are now growing broccoli, brussel sprouts and cauliflower. I love my veggies, I am not sure if I was too keen about them when I was a kid.

I also fed the cattle while I was out there, and I am pretty darn convinced that Orchid (the heifer) will have her calf tonight or tomorrow...or the next day or the next day or the next day. There is no telling, but I will add photos whenever it happens. I hope it will be a heifer calf, but a bull calf will do nicely too, as long as mom and calf are well.

I do not recommend that you ask a fat lady in line when the baby is due. Those are my inspirational words for the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment