Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Day Fifty Six...

THE TWENTY FIFTH OF TWENTY EIGHT THINGS I SEE BETWEEN MY HOUSE AND THE HIGHWAY...in no particular order...

Here is a multiple-choice question for you to begin your day. The animal depicted in the photograph to the left is: A) A donkey, B) A burro, C) A mule, D) A jackass, E) None of the Above, F) All of the Above. Submit your answers to me via the comment section of this blog. Winners will be announced after the deadline of midnight March 1, 2009. There will be no prize awarded for correct entries, and all entries with the wrong answer will be subject to ridicule. So, if you supposed that I do not know the answer to the question, you are correct so far. I have no idea what the proper term for these animals are, but I like them a lot, and there are at least a dozen of these white (not sure if albino fits) burros (for lack of a more positive identification) between our house and the highway. I really believe they must share some kind of genetic blood line, because I have never seen such a concentration of white burros in such a small area before. Included among them and seemingly co-existing with no real problems are plenty of the ordinary run-of-the-mill brown and black burros. The all white burros are certainly in the minority, but again, they all seem to get along as if they were all the same. I wonder if there is something to be learned from this?

Okay, here is an update on the saga of the lost (and found) dog from yesterday. I had a call in the office today from the lady that I left the dog with yesterday. She called and said she had found the owner of the dog, and they were about four or five miles away from where I found the dog. It seems the owner had been out posting signs to try and find the dog, so all is well that ends well. I am glad that I had some part in the happy ending, and even more glad that I was able to find someone to keep the dog besides myself. I do not need more pets right at this minute.

Work was good today, and we (that would be me) got lots of stuff finished. I think the fact that I had a good nights sleep last night helped tremendously. I got started on the preparation of my next class at the Board, and it is not until March 16th, but it is a class that I have never taught before, so it takes a lot of preparation time. I hate being unprepared, and if you are not prepared, it is pretty darn evident. That is the trouble with adult learners, you really cannot buffalo them into just accepting the fact that you know what you are talking about (when you really don't).

Jody and I jut got home from dinner at the Crossroads Cafe. We both had cried catfish (nuggets, not fillets) and it was pretty good. I assume the nuggets are less expensive on the wholesale level than the fillets would be, but they were good regardless. And there were plenty of them, too.

The black cat is home from her surgery, and I guess her name is officially 'Little Bit', since that is what the vet put down on the paper. Little Bit Rudd...I like it, it has a nice ring to it. She is still drugged up, and in her room, so we will leave her there for the night. She needs to rest, and no jumping around for a while.

Okay, see how a good deed had a happy ending? SO you should try it, go do something nice for someone or something. You will be happy with the experience. If nothing else, you can go and deliver meals-on-wheels with me tomorrow. Always guaranteed to be a rewarding experience!

1 comment:

  1. First, let's state what it is not. It is not a mule. That's a different animal--an offspring from a jack and a mare. Second, not knowing the sex or the disposition of the animal, I would hesitate to call it a jackass. So you are either looking at a burro or a donkey. You have your choice on what to call it: Do you feel like speaking Spanish or English? Don't forget to roll your Rs if you call it a burro.

    Not an albino or the skin and eyes would be lacking pigment. I see dark eyes, muzzle, ears and even hoofs so this is just a white burro.

    I think you and Jody need one. They made good sentinals - very smart and protective. Maybe when the drought is over you can get one. OR, since they are said the white ones are said to bring good fortune, maybe get one before the drought ends. Maybe the white burro will bring rain.

    Personal comment on the term jackass. The male burro is a jack and the female is a jenny. Have you ever hear the term "jennyass"?

    ReplyDelete