Sunday, November 6, 2011

2011 - Day Three Hundred Ten; Sunday...

To be honest, there is very little that I question when it comes to living out here in the country, on the edge of nowhere. I do not question the existence of old cast iron water pipes just below the surface of the land (and travelling for some distance above ground level) from what was once the site of 'Aunt Mary's house' to the old hand-dug well that still exists. I am not amazed by the recognition that there has been a terrifically slow leak for months about 15 feet from the office window. It was not enough to make the water meter move an muscle, the only way we knew it was there was because that is the only place on 44 acres of land with anything green on it. It did not baffle me to (with the help of Miguel) to dig it up this morning (in an effort to fix the leak) and find a two inch PVC pipe going nowhere, and it did not even concern me that there was another two inch PVC pipe just about six inches below that one.

What did amaze me was the fact that, three feet below ground level was a two inch PVC water pipe with a bright red shot off valve. THREE FEET BELOW GROUND LEVEL. I can understand a pipe going somewhere (I have no idea where), and I can find it within the realm of reason that the pipe could spring a (or maybe more than one) leak. But why in the hell did someone put a cut-off valve on a two inch water pipe and them bury it? Incredible. Maybe it sprung a leak before and they just happened to have this 'early Americanly engineered' fix laying around in a recycle bin somewhere. Just asking...

I got everything checked off my 'To Done' list today, and I am sore and tired, but happy.

Tomorrow and Tuesday will be full days of teaching, a day-and-a-half of office work, and then off to sunny Orange County for the NAR annual convention. Looking forward to that.

Deeds, Actions, Changes, RURAL MYSTERIES, Kindnesses, Whirled Peas, FUN!

No comments:

Post a Comment