Wednesday, September 23, 2015

2015 - Day 266/99 - Wednesday...

Dogma: Dog*ma. Noun. Or maybe an apostrophe, I am never sure. It could be a dangling participle, or maybe a dongle, I am so confused. But I digress: Dogma is a principle or set of principles laid down by an authority (quite often me) as incontrovertibly true (more evidence). It serves as part of the primary basis of an ideology or belief system, and it cannot be changed or discarded (except by me) without affecting the very system's (apostrophe) paradigm (twenty cents), or the ideology itself. The term can refer to (if I approve) acceptable opinions (everybody's got one) of philosophers or philosophical schools, public decrees, religion, or issued decisions of political authorities. The term derives from the Greek (I was in a fraternity) *&%$^, "that which seems to one, opinion of belief" and that from (another Greek word) "to think, to suppose, to imagine". The plural is either (multiple choice here) dogmas or dogmata (isn't dogmata more commonly referred to as 'poop'), from yet another Greek word. The term "dogmatics" (as opposed to "dogthreespeed), is used as a synonym (means the same thing) for systematic theology, as in some guy's (is that the proper use of an apostrophe) defining textbook of neb-orthodoxy, the 14 volume Church Dogmatics.

See also, my Carma ran over my Dogma. Tune in tomorrow when we will discuss the Oxford Comma.

Deeds, Actions, Changes, DOGMA, Kindnesses, Whirled Peas, FUN!

No comments:

Post a Comment