Monday, April 18, 2011

2010 - Day One Hundred Eight; Monday...

How many songs (sad ones) have been written about Mondays? Today was not a particularly bad day for me, the usual traffic challenges going in to the city. I had an early scheduled doctors appointment, and all was good. Blood pressure was GREAT, all signs are GO!

The Administrative Goddess in our office (Karla) has friends who home was DESTROYED in the wild fires near the Y in Oak Hill. So there were four adults and four children (all under the age of three, two less than a year) plus an assortment of pets all staying at Karla's house. KUDOS to the staff at the Steven F Austin Hotel and the Inter-Continental Hotel Group for stepping up and offering them refuge while they sort things out. Unfortunately, they will not be able to take advantage of it because they had found an extended-stay Hotel and had already paid their non-refundable fees and that was that. BUT, if you EVER need accommodations in Austin, I hope you will think of the Steven F Austin and the Inter-Continental Hotels wherever you go. I cannot imagine what it would be like to wake up one morning and try to determine if you were having a bad dream, or if it was really true that you have NOTHING left. I cannot imagine it, so we at Austin REAL Pros are going to do our best to make it better for that family. I think we can really make a difference. If you can think of something to do, let me know.

I made it home a little bit early this afternoon, and Jody and I went out to check the cattle. The newest calf is doing wonderfully well, but I am a little bit concerned about the mama Daphne. She still has a little bit of retained placenta (I never even knew there was such a thing until earlier this year), and I will not be home until late tomorrow night. With the temperature in the 90's, it concerns me that it will cause an infection and affect both mama and baby. I will keep an eye on it as best I can. I am (hopefully) just too much of a worrier. These cattle have gotten along perfectly well for generations without my help and/or worry. I am certain the breed will survive.

Speaking of the weather, what is it with this heat? Right now, the temperature is somewhere between 90 and 95 degrees. It is almost seven o'clock, and it depends on which nuclear powered weather station you want to lend credence to. It is so hot outside (How Hot Is It?) that the chickens are walking around with their wings outstretched. And I don't think they are trying to take flight. Jody got three eggs today, and there may be more tonight, you just never know.

Tomorrow will be a nice day (knock-wood). I have a luncheon meeting, and pretty much other than that it will be working in the office. Tomorrow evening I am going to attend a private function with one of the Austin City Council Candidates. It will be fun and informative, I am certain.

Deeds, Actions, Changes, MORE RETAINED PLACENTA (Yuck), Kindnesses, Whirled Peas, FUN!

No comments:

Post a Comment