Sunday, April 10, 2011

2011 - Day One Hundred; Sunday...

Already one-hundred days into this year. Pretty soon it will be Christmas, and we will be planning next years gardens and transplanting things. All the work I have done this year will be forgotten but not necessarily unappreciated. I spent two or three hours this morning pulling weeds in the front circle and the back circle. Lots of Georgia Cane and other little pesky weeds. Interestingly, all the Georgia Cane is on one long continuous root; maybe not really, but they have expansive root systems. I do not think my weed pulling days are over for this year, but they are over for this month at least. We shall see.

Miguel and I kind of went our separate ways around the property today, I (remember) was busy pulling weeds, and Miguel re-worked the fruit tree staking that he did last week, and then watered the trees up by the road. I pulled weeds and Miguel went on to something else. I pulled weeds, and Miguel started something else. Get the picture? I pulled weeds, Miguel really has no interest in pulling weeds.

Late morning Jody and I went into Georgetown to make a Home Depot run and then a stop at the Dairy Queen. Sorry to say my visit to the Dairy Queen today was not particularly satisfying. Jody had his usual hot-fudge sundae, and I opted for a root beer Freeze (which is really a root beer milk shake), but the guy making it was a rookie and it ended up being something like root beer with a little ice cream in it and it was really THIN. BUT, I was basically craving fluids so it was okay, but not sinfully delicious.

When we got home, I cleaned the chickens water pan and hanging water buckets, and Miguel and I started moving flat rocks from here and there to make a path from the end of the front garden to the front of the property where the barn and chicken coop is. That will be a job, but Miguel will be working on it during the week as well as on the weekend, so that will be good. I also took some square hay bales, dug holes in the centers of them and put dirt in the holes. Then I put some cantaloupe and water melon seeds in the dirt, and I am going to see if that will work for a hay bale garden. It seems like the hay will retain water well (doubtful it will retain water as well as I do, nothing does), but I think it is a good theory, just not sure if it is too late to start anything or if it will work or not. Time will tell. It is an interesting concept though.

Once Miguel left, I took my first jump into the pool. As they said of the water when the titanic was sinking 'it is definitely not hot'. After the initial shock (to several parts of the old bod) it was not too bad. And it is true that I do not have any shame what-so-ever since I am in total control of the photos I publish on this blog. No shame what-so-ever!

Jody and I went into Jarrell for dinner tonight at one of the local Mexican Restaurants. I had the three quesadilla plate (it was DELICIOUS) and Jody had the chicken enchiladas which were really good too. We had been there once before and were not terribly thrilled with it, but it was really good tonight.

On the way home, we were driving through a little subdivision and came upon this kind of old stretch Lincoln limousine, and I had to go back just to take the picture of the front end of this car. Fabulous!

It is going to be a busy week, but at least tomorrow will be a day of mostly office work.

Deeds, Actions, Changes, HORNY LINCOLNS, Kindnesses, Whirled Peas, FUN!

No comments:

Post a Comment