Wednesday, April 20, 2011

2011 - Day One Hundred Ten; Wednesday...

The score is now Chickens, 0; Evans, 1. Not that important of a defeat for the chickens, but it is an overwhelming victory for me. The morning glories are really coming up after having surrounded them with various fences and paraphernalia to thwart the chickens from scratching up the seeds. My next move was to surround the morning glory beds with a moat, but I think that might be unnecessary. I am still considering concertina wore, but I also think that might be uncalled for. This whole episode kind of reminds me of Jack Benny going down to his dungeons to look at his money. Either that or one of those Rube Goldberg scenarios. Whatever. I am still ahead on this latest FIASCO. Okay, we are ahead on the egg count too. Today we got four eggs, and I am considering making a pilgrimage on Friday to Buck Moore Feeds to see what kind of chicks they have in stock. I think there are four more chickens in our future.

The cattle are all doing well, so I am happy about that. The more I go back there, the more they all think I am bringing them feed. They still have just barely touched the bale of hay that is back there for them, so that is good, it means they are taking advantage of the grass that is available to them. The new calves are all doing well. This photo shows a three day old calf on the left, and a two week old calf on the right. We are really getting some pretty calves this year.

This is a photo of my hay-bale gardening experiment. I put out these five square bales of hay a couple weeks ago, cut holes in them with a chain saw (these bales are packed really tightly) and put dirt in the holes. Then I put in cantaloupe and watermelon seeds, and covered them with more dirt. Water thoroughly. Wait. Sure enough, the seeds are germinating. This is not a new idea, and I think technically you are supposed to use better hay than the kind I am using, but the theory is the same; the roots will grow into the hay and the hay will retain moisture to help the plants grow. It was just something to do with the hay bales that I was not using, and if I get a couple cantaloupes or watermelons, it was well worth the cost of the seeds. We shall see.

Deeds, Actions, Changes, MELONS, Kindnesses, Whirled Peas, FUN!

No comments:

Post a Comment