Saturday, April 16, 2011

2011 - Day One Hundred Six; Saturday...

Helen, this is what the adolescent egg loaf looks like. Just wanted to document this for you! The day started out kind of early for a weekend. I needed to be up early because I was teaching a class in Austin beginning at 9 o'clock. So, in order to get there in time to make sure all the computers and everything else were working okay, I needed to leave the house at 7:30, which meant I had to have breakfast completed before that so I could get ready to go.

Everything went well, and I was back home just after 1 o'clock, and then we headed off to Round Rock to watch a bee 'dumping' (not sure if that is the right word). Basically it was a demonstration of how to get your 'package' bees into their new home. There were several people there (probably about 40 or more) and I was there just to learn a little bit (I was not getting any new bees this season), but my friend Jim was getting a 'package' of bees, so I was there to help him. Our friends from Houston went with me, so we all learned about bees, and then headed to Jim's house in Hyde Park. There were no incidents, although I was not taking any precautions. I look a little bit overdressed in this photo, totally suited up, and Jim has on nothing but a veil, not even gloves. I did not get this old by being stupid, and playing dress up is really a lot of fun!

We made it home by about 5 o'clock, and shortly after decided it was time to go into Georgetown for dinner. We headed off into Georgetown and went to the Catfish Parlour and all had a really nice meal. On the way home, we took the long route, and went through the Berry Creek Park and it was really a lovely evening just kind of wasting time. Wonderful.

We made it home (again) in time to sit out on the porch for a while, and the girls came up every now and then, but they were a little bit skittish. Finally Bonnie and I went out to see if we could get them into their pen, and I got Mini-Vera and handed her off to Bonnie. We herded them into their pen (mostly voluntarily) and they were pretty happy to get their food for the night. It is dark now, so I will need to go put them to bed for the night in just a few minutes. Jody got five eggs from them today, and still no more crushed or damaged eggs since we put the nest eggs in their nesting boxes. That would be really great if that solved the problem.

While we were at the bee demonstration, another friend of mine (Chris) told me how to go about integrating new chickens with an established flock. So, I am not a little bit more comfortable with the idea of adding about four more chickens to the flock.

Stay tuned.

Deeds, Actions, Changes, BEES, Kindnesses, Whirled Peas, FUN!

No comments:

Post a Comment