Tuesday, October 25, 2016

2016 - Day 299/67 - Tuesday...

I was delighted when I got home this afternoon to see HUNDREDS of Monarch Butterflies all over the front yard up by the road. A friend of mine (Helen) mentioned on her Facebook page over the weekend that there were Monarch's in her yard, and I had been disappointed that there were none here. But, a few days later and here they are. I asked Jody if he had seen them, and he let me know they are not Monarch's, too small for Monarch's. This is a photo of what I saw. I contacted the Googles, and this is what I found out...

Monarch (Danaus plexippus) and viceroy (Limenitis archippus) butterflies are not particularly closely related, but they appear almost identical on first glance. It's an adaptation that aids their survival. Both species taste foul; if a bird or other predator eats a member of either species, it will learn to avoid both because they look so much alike. They don’t look exactly the same, though -- if you look closely enough, you’ll see some differences -- and their behavior is poles apart.
The primary visual difference in coloration is a black line bisecting each hind wing of the viceroy, a feature lacking in the monarch. Viceroys are also smaller, although exact size is hard to determine outside unless you happen to see both species together. To confirm identification, take a photograph of the butterfly and measure the item it was sitting on in order to calculate the wingspan. According to Butterflies and Moths of North America, monarchs measure 3 3/8 to 4 7/8 inches from wing tip to wing tip while viceroys have wingspans ranging from 2 1/2 to 3 3/8 inches.

So, what I think we have are viceroy's, not Monarch's. But I am not sure. Whatever the case, they were beautiful, but they do not hold still long enough for mass photos.

Deeds, Actions, Changes, VICROY'S, Kindnesses, Whirled Peas, FUN!

No comments:

Post a Comment