Tuesday, July 12, 2022

Volume 14 - Day 193/172, 2022 - Tuesday

In 1936, Carl Mayer (nephew of Oscar Mayer), suggested a marketing idea to his uncle; build a 13-foot-long mobile hot dog and cruise around Chicago handing out his 'German wieners' to pedestrians. Throughout the 30's, 40s, and 50s, they enlisted various 'little people' to portray 'Little Oscar,' the company mascot. Little Oscar ultimately was the vehicle operator, waving to crowds and dispensing wiener whistles. I see the wiener mobile in Austin about one time a year, and it was happily traveling down South First Street when I was on my way to the office this morning. Always a good photo op! Good walk this morning, then breakfast with Jack and Jay. On to the office, watched the January 6th hearing stuff, then home before going to a 5 o'clock meeting. Back hame, dogs fed, plants in the back yard watered. I'll do the front ones tomorrow morning. EVERYTHING IS SUFFERING from the heat and lack of rain. I am not sure if all the plants will survive, but I am trying my best. Stuff in the ground seems to be doing pretty well, but the heat and sun are just brutal. It is what it is. The high temperature today was 109, the low high temperature forecast in the seven day is 104, and no mention of rain.

No comments:

Post a Comment