Saturday, March 19, 2011

2011 - Day Seventy Eight; Saturday...

Another day of pseudo-accomplishments. I taught a class of six this morning in the finer arts of TREC Ethics, and even though the number of attendees was small, we are making progress. These folks were really interested in the topics I was sharing with them, and we all walked away from the class with new information and insight into what it takes to really represent our clients in a real estate transaction. On the third Saturday of April, I will be teaching the TREC Legal Update, which will also be held benefiting TREPAC, so if you need those MCE credits to renew your license, please let me know, and I will fill you in on all the details.

I got home from class just shortly after 1 o'clock, and Jody was still out running errands. He got home about a half-hour later, and we headed off to Georgetown where we both (again, I am SO predictable) enjoyed hot fudge sundaes at the Dairy Queen. After that, we were off to pick up this years bee keeping supplies. I purchased an extractor this year, so I am ready for the spring honey harvest. We are expecting about 250 pounds of honey to be harvested this spring, and more in the fall, so that will be really exciting. This morning (in the dark, about 6 o'clock) as I was doing my morning chores (meter reading rituals and those types of things), I went into the front barn and suited up to remove the entry reducers on the hives. Yesterday, one of the hives was 'bearding' which basically means it is too hot inside the hives, so I took the reducers away from their entrances, so they will have more circulation inside the hives. When I extract honey from the hives (probably in two to three weeks) I will also change the bottom boards to 'screened' bottom boards, which will also help the circulation, and will also help to rid the hives of 'Verona mites'. It's a bee thing...

Speaking of bees, if you look closely in this picture, you will see one of my precious little darlings. This is a type of pear tree (that's what we think, anyway) in the front yard, and the bees find it particularly attractive. They are also very fond of the Loquat out in the yard too, but it has not started blooming yet. You would be surprised...if there is a bloom, there will most likely be scores of bees too.

Jody and I have finished dinner, the kitchen is clean (whatever) and we are sitting out on the front porch waiting to see the moon. The moon is supposed to be the closest it has been to us in the past twenty years, and since we have an unobstructed view, we are looking forward to it. Also, while I was typing just a few minutes ago, Jody told me to look up, and the Owl was just flying into its' nest. It is truly a majestic creature, HUGE but very beautiful and dignified. Very nice.

Okay, I have a totally new opinion on why we find broken eggs in the chicken coop, and I am now leaning towards blaming it all on the chicken snakes. I need to do some research on chicken snakes, but I am now of the opinion that the chicken snakes get in the hen house and and try to get an egg in their mouths, and are incapable of getting it out of the nesting box, but they crush the egg while trying to remove it (eat it?). SO, some research is in order, and I will report back to you subsequently.

Have a nice night, and go take a look at the moon. You will be glad you did!

Deeds, Actions, Changes, GREAT HORNED OWLS, Kindnesses, Whirled Peas, FUN!

No comments:

Post a Comment