Saturday, July 2, 2011

2011 - Day One Hundred Eighty Three; Saturday...

It was a day of many things today. Hot, lazy, unproductive but mostly sad. A very sad day. My very best friend and buddy in the whole wide world (and I mean my VERY BEST FRIEND IN THE WHOLE WIDE WORLD) Mike, who lives in Palm Beach lost his partner of 37 years (Bill) today. A tragedy. A dark day. A sad day. A day of untold sadness and remembered memories. Please Please Please have a kind thought to send Mike's way. I understand there is little anyone can do, but kind thoughts are not too much to ask.

Jody and I have also watched this little bird for the past several days, and it gave up the ghost today as well. It did not help that the dog thought (just for an instant) that it might make a good breakfast. And really, he only thought that for an instant. I think the heat finally got to it, although the momma-bird had been taking good care of it, and it made it through several nights. I think nights are the scariest for little fledglings. There are lots of critters out and about that would not have a second thought about gulping down a little critter like this.

I was pretty much of a slug today, got up late, did little of nothing and then realized that the book I needed to prepare for a new class was at the office. I had the computer with the power points, and the notes, but I needed the text book. SO, we headed off into town so I could get the book. As long as we were in town, I asked Jody if he would like to stop at the food trailer (Surf & Turf) that I had lunch at yesterday, and he was all for it. We got there a little after 1 o'clock, and they were just opening up, but they were very gracious and welcomed us off the sidewalk. We both had shrimp po-boys (mine was fried and Jody's was grilled), and they were both delicious. AND, it is right across the street from the Austonian, the tallest building (so far) in the city, so I am using this photo that I took yesterday for the entry. Yummy food, nice and accommodating folks, and it is just another piece of the Austin Weirdness campaign.

On the way home, as long as we were in the neighborhood, we stopped in Georgetown and got spoilers. Jody had a chocolate shake and I had an Oreo Cookie Blizzard. Reports indicate that both selections were more than acceptable.

We got home, took more naps (I took two naps today, I hope I sleep tonight), and then got ready for dinner. Pauline called, and we talked about the heat, crops burning up in the fields and then we talked some more about the heat. Pauline told me that, if you pick up the cantaloupe off the vine, and it just kind of falls off the vine, that is when they are ready. Sure enough, I went out there after dinner, picked it up off the ground, and it just fell off the vine. I have since put it in the refrigerator, and we will have it for breakfast in the morning. There is one more out there on the vine, so we may have another before it is all over.

Please don't forget about my friend Mikey.

Deeds, Actions, Changes, GOOD THOUGHTS, Kindnesses, Whirled Peas, FUN!

No comments:

Post a Comment