Saturday, April 28, 2012

2012 - Day 119/247 - Saturday...

I REALLY did little of nothing today, and that was really okay with me.

 I did not stay in bed nearly as long as I had intended, and when I did get up, I putzed around the house for a while and got the paper, had coffee and made a pile of eggs. Took a little walk with Jody and the dog, and then we took the dog for a ride. Not far from the house, there was an organized bike ride going on, and the folks riding out here must have been 50 to 75 milers. They had started from Georgetown, it was the Georgetown Red Poppy Ride. The dog had fun barking at all the riders and it basically just made me a Jody nervous.

 We got home from that and set out to go meet up with our friend Steve who was riding in the Hill Country Ride for AIDS. Not positive, but rumor has it there were over 700 riders. I do know for sure that they raised of $500,000 to help AIDS beneficiaries in Texas. A really worthwhile cause.

Jody and I went to Pit Stop Number 4, and we were really amazed to run into many friends from years ago when I was actively riding. Dawn, Mark, Connor, Tammy, Kathy, Robert, Quinn, Enrique. It was really nice to see all them. I have chain grease on my arm from helping riders that fell on gravel (three separate occasions) and I did not even know I had grease on me. It is kind of making me want to get back in the saddle. Those were really fun times.

 Steve rode the 100 mile route, and it was really windy. We met up with him at the lunch pit, and it was a really nice setting. Steve was pretty tired from the wind, but he was going on, there would be no stopping him. I remember how hard-headed I was when I was riding. Never give up.  Steve finished the ride in under nine hours, which I think was pretty amazing. He will have plenty of stories to tell for weeks to come. This is a picture of Jody, me, Steve, Buddy and Mark at the lunch pit.

 On the way back we had to (of course) stop at the Dairy Queen in Georgetown, then I put gas in the truck ($95) and then we went to Home Depot to buy a tree (could not find what we wanted) and then we stopped at Tractor Supply and just looked around.

 While we were on the way home, Pauline called and said she wanted to bring us some cookies and cake. That is one of the nice things about living in the country, neighbors are neighborly. We like that. So, we got home and I headed over to Pauline's with eggs and came home with cookies and cake. Not a bad deal. 

Deeds, Actions, Changes, HILL COUNTRY RIDE FOR AIDS, Kindnesses, Whirled Peas, FUN!

No comments:

Post a Comment