Monday, January 21, 2013

2013 - Day 21/344 - Monday...

Not a bad day overall.  I had the television in the office tuned to ABC where I watched (didn't pay too much attention to it, it was just on) the Inaugural from the time I got there to the time I left.  Finally at almost 4 o'clock our time, they were finished with it and went back to regularly scheduling which meant Ellen followed by Katie.  I have never watched Ellen since they moved her from mornings til afternoon, and I have NEVER watched Katie.  Just not a convenient television watching time for me.

The ride to work was not at all terrible (on the terrible scale of 1 to 5 with five being the worst today was a 2), but then once I was at the office for a little while, I realized it was a Holiday, which accounted for the decent drive in to the office.  The ride home was not terrible either (another 2), but I expected it to be worse than it was.  Generally speaking, when you are approaching the on-ramp and you can see a firetruck inching its' way down the shoulder if the Interstate (horns and sirens blaring) it would make one think of another approach to the homeward commute, but there is no other way!  Whatever...  The traffic jam was never realized, and by the time I got to the point that the aforesaid fire truck was headed, there were two fire trucks, two police cars and one crumpled black car.  Not sure what exactly happened, but the gendarmes were out in full force.  I think that may have been my first IH-35 wreck of the 2013 year.  Not bad, 21 days into it and that was the first wreck I (vicariously) participated it.  Whether you are involved in the wreck itself, as long as you are in traffic that is affected by a wreck, I declare you to be a participant.

Throughout the day (and particularly on the way home when I had plenty of time to ponder), I talked myself into and out of and back into taking a brief bike ride this afternoon.  I got home about 15 minutes after 5, and mentioned to Jody that I could not decide about taking a short bike ride.  Since he did not offer any protestation about me going for a ride (it was chilly, it was getting dark, I could hurt myself, dinner was about ready, I could be kidnapped by aliens or worse yet by the Williamson County Sheriff's Department), I decided to change clothes and go ahead for a short ride.  Five miles was my goal (every day the rides get shorter) but that was not bad.  At least I did it.  The sun was pretty low in the sky, which made for good shadows, and the way I went today was interesting, as you approached the electric poles, you could hear the electricity in the lines chirping louder as you got closer to the insulators.  Those are the kinds of things you notice (along with dogs chasing you and people throwing beer cans at you), when you are out on a bike, minding your own business, communing with nature.

Deeds, Actions, Changes, WRECKS, Kindnesses, Whirled Peas, FUN!

No comments:

Post a Comment