Thursday, August 8, 2013

2013 - Day 220/145 - Thursday...

Here is something you most likely NEVER needed to know (or had any reason to know) but there is NO time like the present, so here goes:  Wilbur Wright flew from Governors Island up the Hudson to Grant's Tomb and back in 33 minutes on October 4, 1909, making the first successful flight ever seen in New York.  His flying machine was equipped with a red canoe for emergency water landings.

The flight home this afternoon from Chicago was pretty much uneventful until right there at the end, and then it was kind of like a roller coaster ride.  Everything worked out just fine though.  It is pretty darned obvious to me that this particular pilot is a better pilot than photographer as well.  He took two photos, the first one included my hand and a lot of instrumentation, but this one worked out pretty well.  I am taking it as a pretty much GIVEN that all pilots are nice guys, and are happy to let you get a photo in the cockpit.  They did draw the line and veto letting me come up into the cockpit while we were 'en route', but you can't have everything!

I got to Chicago late morning yesterday and did not leave the hotel for even a second.  I think that is what it might be like when we all live in environmentally controlled bubbles.  I was not subjected to actual real air for about 30 hours (if you don't count the smokey stuff you encounter outside the terminals while waiting on the shuttle.  Okay, so this is not really what it will be like in an environmental bubble, but this is my journal and I will write what I want.

Tomorrow is an early day in the office, then off to ONE meeting at the Board then more work and then home.  Heading out early Saturday morning for a lone weekend in Connecticut.  That will be super fun!

Deeds, Actions, Changes, FRESH AIR, Kindnesses, Whirled Peas, FUN!

No comments:

Post a Comment