Thursday, August 29, 2013

2013 - Day 241/124 - Thursday...

A paraprosdokian is a figure of speech in which the latter part of a sentence or phrase is surprising or unexpected in a way that causes the reader or listener to reframe or reinterpret the first part.  For this reason, it is extremely popular among comedians and satirists.  Some paraprosdokians not only change the meaning of an early phrase, but they also play on the double meaning of a particular word, creating a form of syllepsis (tune in tomorrow or look it up yourself).

So, here are a couple examples:  A bus station is where a bus stops.  A train station is where a train stops.  At my desk, I have a work station.  Okay, just one more and then I need to get serious.  Whenever I fill out an application, in the part that says, 'In case of emergency, notify:' I put 'DOCTOR'.

I don't know about you, but I am getting kind of tingly about 'syllepsis'.

Today was our Meals-On-Wheels day, and Chris and I had six clients on our route, and they were all there.  The sage is blooming beautifully in Austin, but not so much here at the house.  Jody says it is all blooming out in Georgetown.  Generally when the sage is blooming it means we will get some rain.  Keep your fingers crossed that we get some rain over the weekend, but hopefully not tomorrow.  Not tomorrow because Hubert came and cut the grass fields yesterday and today, so I think they may rake and bale tomorrow.  It will be good to have some more hay set aside for the cattle.  We are also using much less hay, since we have far fewer cattle now, down 60% from a couple weeks ago, with three more to go.

I have an appointment to get my hair cut early in the morning, so I have to figure out how I am going to do this...just wear a t-shirt and carry an extra t-shirt and work shirt, or be itchy all day long.  I think I will go with the former.

Deeds, Actions, Changes, FRESH HAY, Kindnesses, Whirled Peas, FUN!

No comments:

Post a Comment