Saturday, July 15, 2017

2017 - Day 196/169 - Saturday...

I didn't do a whole lot today, but I did enough. I got up about 6 o'clock, and made coffee and ready part of the paper. I have been holding the chickens hostage lately, not letting them loose until the sun is up pretty well. Pancake (the battered chicken) was always the first one out of the coop, and it worked to her detriment the other day with the appearance of the chicken battering dog. Allegedly the dog(s) have been removed from the property, but I will still exercise caution for a while. After that, I set up sprinklers and watered the transplanted plants to make sure they survive. It was 103 degrees today, the 14th day this year with high temperatures exceeding 100 degrees. Last Monday I brought home six MORE chicks. They have been holed up inside the front barn in a transitional mode. This morning, I moved them outside so they can get their feet on the ground. All seems to be well so far. They are under a pretty nice shady area, so that should be okay. The JV chicks are enjoying their new run, and I am going to add a tarp over it tomorrow because they get NO shade at all. They will be introduced to the mature girls around the 30th of this month, and the new chicks will take their place in the other run. It is like an assembly line of chickens around here right now. Current counts are 10 mature girls, five JVs and six newbies. I did have to go into town late this morning, and I got home about 2 o'clock, and headed for a nap in the big blue chair. Then it was off to Georgetown so Jody could give the mules some cookies in the park, and then to lunch. On the way home, the winds picked up rely nicely; we have had a trace of rain, but the forecasts for the next couple days looks pretty promising. Deeds, Actions, Changes, CHICKS, Kindnesses, Whirled Peas, FUN!

No comments:

Post a Comment