Sunday, October 22, 2017

2017 - Day 295/70 - Sunday...

In the past two weeks or so, as of yesterday, we had retrieved one egg from the chickens. Ten of the girls are old and we understand that their production is lessening. The other ten girls are too young to lay yet, and we think (maybe) that two of the girls are imposters and are probably NEVER going to lay (an egg). I had suspicions that some of the girls might be laying eggs somewhere else than in the nest boxes, and today I found a clutch of three eggs. They were still good (not floaters) so they are now in the refrigerator with the other eggs. I have no idea which of the girls decided to lay the eggs under the tall ornamental grass outside the garage, but it was purely by accident that I found them. Whichever of the girls that did it, I hope they will take the hint and proceed to lay where they are supposed to in the future.

It has come to my attention (after months and months) that the journal entries are not formatting properly when I publish, so I am trying some new things to see if I can actually get more than one paragraph per post. We shall see.

We tried the girls (dogs not chickens) in their pen overnight last night, and it was somewhat troublesome. They went into the pen with no challenges, and Callie was perfectly content to lay on her cushion and go to sleep. Lexie was not at all happy with it, and she wandered around all night long. If she wasn't wandering in the pen, she was growling (an attention getting growl). If that didn't work, she would try other maneuvers to get our attention. Sometime during the night, Jody got up and went to sleep in another room. I got up at 3:30 and let the girls out, and again at 5:30. Lexie seemed to settle down each time I let them out, but that was over about an hour back into the night. It started raining about 6 or 6:30 and that was the end of that.

We shall see what tonight brings.

Deeds, Actions, Changes, EGGS, Kindnesses, Whirled Peas, FUN!

No comments:

Post a Comment