Sunday, January 18, 2009

Day Eighteen...

Ever since we moved to the country (three months ago, but it seems like only yesterday) I have been using one of my laptops to keep abreast (he said breast) of the world and update this diary and stuff like that. If I needed to look up a telephone number, it was to the lap top to get on to the Internet. At one point I tried to set up a wireless connection, but since I was never that good at math, it was an exercise in futility. But I digress. Last Friday, I retrieved my desktop computer from the condo, and decided to hook it up as the main computer in the office, and some friends were expected to come and rescue my and install the wireless connection. I wanted to be as prepared as possible, so I connected the desk top to the whatever it is (we don't have cable here in the country, so we have some sort of an antenna on the chimney that provides us the Internet connection, and it connects straight to the computer with what looks to me like a USB cable, but the guy at the service provider swears it is something much more technical than that.

So, I got the computer connected (and only had a couple wires and a few other parts left over) but everything seems to be working well...is it possible that the connection on the desktop would be slower than the connection was on the lap top? I guess anything is possible, but, whatever... Oh, and I should mention the desk top is a DELL, and I am not the biggest fan of Dell in the world, even though I have probably purchased about thirty of their machines in the past 15 years. But that is another diary entry.

And one of our friends is feeling puny today, so we put off the wireless trauma for another day. I am certainly not the most patient person in the world, but when someone is doing me a favor (and driving at least 100 miles round-trip to do it) I can be patient. There has been a lot of flu going around Central Texas, so I hope he rests and gets well.

Another beautiful day in PARADISE. What could be better. I slept extra late this morning, I did not dray my lazy butt out of bed until almost 7AM. What a slacker. Our company is looking for a clerical person at our front desk, so I have gone through 174 resumes in the last three days. The economy must really be in bad shape! If you listen to talk radio, all the woe is blamed on the drive-by media. Well, talk radio needs to post a job opening on CraigsList and see what happens. And we are not some Fortune 500 company, either. We are small, local, locally grown and small...did I mention we are a small company? Interestingly enough, when times are tough, this is when the entrepreneurial spirits come out of people. If you cannot find a job, you sometimes have to make one up. It will be interesting to see the creativity and new products and services come out of this difficult financial time.

I need to move the cows to the other pasture next weekend, and they have gone through a bale of hay in record time. We really could use some rain to get the grasses growing. I do not want to put out a big round bale of hay for them and then move them, so we went and got a few square bales for the, $9.50 a bale! Highway robbery, but you gotta do what you gotta do!

Now, go treat someone like you are their personal cocker spaniel (or the breed of you or their choice). What I mean is, go treat someone like you are delighted to see them, like you will care and love them unconditionally. And that you are always interested in whatever it is they are doing or did today. You know, kind of like a cocker spaniel!

No comments:

Post a Comment