Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Day Twenty Seven...

OMG! There are freezing precipitation warnings posted for the WHOLE WORLD from about now until 11AM on Wednesday. What'll we do? What'll we do? What'll we do? This photo was taken at about 5PM today, showing the information center in my car. I am kind of embarrassed to show the photo, because it shows I have been only getting 46.1 miles per gallon...okay, so I had a strong head-wind on the way home...usually I can get 47-48 miles per gallon, no sweat, but of course, not today. What you are really supposed to be seeing here is the temperature...34 degrees as recorded in my car, at 5PM. THAT IS CRAZY!

When I got up out of bed this morning (I woke up around three, laid awake til about four, then finally got up around 515) it was 51 degrees, and by the time I went out to get the paper, it was about 47 degrees, with a good brisk wind from the north. By the time I left for work, it was about 45 degrees.

The ride to work was uneventful, nothing good or bad on the way, but as I got about five miles from the office, I was out of the cold front...I actually crossed the front and got into warmer weather. At the office, it was about 65 degrees, and balmy. I was at the office for about 15 minutes, and the front hit, and the temperatures started to drop precipitously. Our office manager could not believe it had gone from warm to (okay not freezing) cold, so he had to get up and go see for himself. You know what they say, if you don't like the weather in Texas, just wait a few minutes.

I spent most of the morning in the office taking care of paperwork stuff, and got a nice bit of work accomplished. One of our neighbors, (hi Shane!) stopped in and remarked that I was losing weight. I LOVE SHANE! We had an 11AM meeting in the office, then I went to a meeting at the Board at 2PM, got back from that at about 330 and left for home at about 4. No sense in taking any chances, I drive like a really old woman when a) it is raining, b) when it is icy (like it was two years ago in Santa Fe), c) when it is dark or d) all of the above. Always go for all of the above, and you will most likely do pretty well.

So, I am looking forward to a nice casual and relaxed morning. No sense in rushing into anything (like a ten car pile up in front of me), so I am planning to wait and see what happens, weather wise. Everything is supposed to be over with by about 10AM, and the temperatures are supposed to be back up in the 50's by afternoon. Even so, I'll bet you can't go into a grocery store within 50 miles from here a get a carton of milk or a TWINKY (forget about batteries, give me the TWINKIES). Crazy mental attitudes we get when we think we will be deprived of our comforts.

I will let you know how all this works out tomorrow. In the meantime, go find someone who would like you to keep them warm tonight, wherever you are. It will be good for both of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment