Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Day Twenty Eight...

Have you ever seen icicles (it took several tries to spell that correctly) on a calves ears? Well, you can cross that one off your bucket list. Seeing something like that is right up there with a photo of our esteemed (or usually just steamed) Governor with no Aqua-Net on his carefully coiffed hair-do. You just never see something like that, and when you do, you usually don't have a camera to document the fact.

I stayed in bed a little later than usual today, because it was supposed to be the end of the world, or the end of the world as we know it anyway. We did have some ice on the trees and the fence posts and the mail box and the calves, but overall, that was pretty much it. No damage that I could see, no tree limbs down, no reports of terrible traffic accidents, no loss of electrical service or anything like that. We dodged another bullet on this one. Good for us, even though it was just a little anti-climactic.

The lowest temperature reading on our nuclear thermometer this morning was about 26 degrees, and because of the placement of the exterior piece of the deal, that means the actual temperature was probably 4 or 5 degrees lower than that. So, pretty chilly, but it is not about 10:30AM, and the sun is shining brightly and the temperature outside my office is a tepid 36 degrees.

The drive into the office was uneventful as well, and I should try leasing later more often. I left the house at about 830AM and there were no issues UNTIL I hit the flyover from I-35 to the toll-road (Texas 45) to the MoPac toll-road (Loop 1) . That is a long, TALL flyover (probably about 80-100 feet high, and the flyover goes for about 2-3 miles. Well, there was ice all over that road and the flyovers. We were progressing at a whopping 10 miles per hour, and there was one wreck still lingering nose first into the concrete barriers. I would have thought that a private enterprise would be more efficient than the State or County road crews, but that was the only icy road conditions I encountered. And we are PAYING to travel on the ICE! I need to e-mail someone!

Here is something I just noticed last night about this blog...usually I do this diary entry throughout the day. I do not usually just sit down and do the whole thing in one swell-foop. I usually entire a little bit now and a little bit later, and then post it sometime in the early evening. But the blog says it is posted at the time of the first entry I make on that day. Just in case any of you are particularly anal about the date/time stamp on the entry, I am generally not forecasting the future and aware of the out-come of my day at 6AM. Wish I was, so I could spend more time filling out Lotto tickets!

More later...

It is now later...had a nice interview with a very pleasant young woman for our front desk person at the office. We have a couple more interviews to conduct, and we hope to have someone hired by Wednesday (that would be Day Thirty Five...if you are keeping up). I left the office about 4:15 PM and had an uneventful trip to the country. After I go home, I watched a few minutes of (bad) news and then went out to fill the cattle trough with water and spoke with my neighbor for a while.

Jody and I went to another local restaurant...the Crossroads Cafe which is about six miles from our house. Good Good Good food! I recommend it if you are ever in the neighborhood.

Now, go invite someone to join you for dinner. It will make you both feel warm and full of friendly feelings. Not the worst you could do!

2 comments:

  1. Bill,
    While in edit mode, you will see "posting options" at the bottom left. Click there and you will find a field where you can choose the date and time you want to show.

    ReplyDelete