Monday, January 11, 2010

2010 - Day Eleven...

I got up early (not earlier than usual) and got ready to head out to College Station to attend an Instructors Update class delivered by the Real Estate Center at Texas A &M University. Lots of good speakers, lots of troubling forecasts, some amount of optimism for the Texas Real Estate Markets, but overall the consensus is that we are not out of the woods yet. Not as much talk this year about investing in ammunition, but there is a lot of hedging going on as to whether we have hit the bottom or not. There is a 50/50 chance, but we all just need to wait and see. Lots of talk about the US saying they do not want to follow the Japanese Model of recovery (they have been trying to recover for over a decade) but that that is what we seem to be doing. The new messiah seems to be a certain Mr. Takanaka (not sure if I am even close to getting the spelling right) and that we all just need to lay EVERYTHING out, admit it is worse than any of us thought (or anyone wanted to admit to) and we really cannot recover economically until everyone 'fesses up! There also seems to be the opinion that the $700B bailout was really only about a third of what needed to be done, and that there will probably be at least one more bailout before it is all over. AND, that nothing will really start to happen until the American people start spending money again. Our economy is driven (about 70%) by consumer spending, and we (Americans) will only deny ourselves of stuff for so lone, and the thinking is we have about reached our breaking point.

The ride to and from was pleasant enough, about a two-hour trip each way. I got pretty well into my new book on CD, and this book definitely has it's ups and downs. Between the book and returning phone calls and just looking at stuff I had not seen before, it was very pleasant. I liked this route much better than the route I have taken the last three or four times I have attended the Update.

We also had a short talk by the new TREC Administrator, Doug Oldmixon. I have known Doug for a few years strictly on a professional level, but I think he is going to be a good Administrator, and I think a lot of good will be accomplished during his tenure at the Real Estate Commission.

This is a picture of a little store in Davilla, Texas, and I have been by this store dozens of times, and it has never been open. I thought I was going to have the chance to go inside today, but they were again closed when I got there. One of these days...

I also stopped at Michael's new house, I saw him outside when I was driving past. They were just about to cover up the septic system, which means he has the okay to move-in. He has worked really hard on that house for him, Abby and Jackson, and I think he did a really great job. CONGRATULATIONS!

I got home and had to go make sure the cattle had water...they did, and all was good. Supposed to be a really light freeze tonight, nothing to really worry about. This beautiful sunset was my reward for being a good boy today, and getting back home to the place I love.

Deeds, Kindnesses, Actions, Changes, Whirled Peas, FUN!

No comments:

Post a Comment