Friday, January 15, 2010

2010 - Day Fifteen...

Ever since we moved into this home, we have been plagued with smoke detector challenges. Certain smoke detectors in this home 'go through' batteries (the square nine-volt kind) at an alarming rate. That in itself would not be intolerable, but it seems the batteries only die while we are sleeping. Now, in the most recent case, which was EARLY this morning, I was wakened by the incessant chirp. It was made more urgent because in my half-consciousness I thought there was the possibility that the emergency pager had alerted and I had slept through that. Well, the good news was, it was only a smoke detector, the one that leads from the kitchen to the den via the breakfast room. 3:08 AM. I was not having my best nights sleep as it was, and now I am in the garage getting a ladder to remove the battery. NOT REPLACE THE BATTERY, the spare batteries live in the laundry room, and the dog is asleep back there, and there is no need to get him all stimulated, thinking it is time for his breakfast. Anyway, I removed the battery, and it is HOT. Not only is it hot, but it has kind of ruptured. I don't think that is a good sign. I also do not think that this issue with the smoke detectors began only after we took possession of the property. I think it had been an issue before that time, and was not reported to us by the folks we purchased the property from. I guess it just slipped their minds. Out of beeps, out of mind!

Just home from dinner, and pretty close to the end of a LONG day. Took care of a break sponsorship at the Board, and then I had an appointment at the Section VIII office not too far from the office. After that, there was some banking to do, and I had an appointment with the doctor that did my knee surgery. I was supposed to have another physical therapy session just prior to the doctors visit, but I cancelled it, I just do not think I need physical therapy for my knee. The doctor said there was/is a lot of arthritis in my knee and that exercise on a stationery bike would be a good solution. I do not have a stationery bike, but I have a real bike, and I hope in a couple more weeks I will be out on the road with it. Actually, come to think of it, I bet there will be some stationery bikes on the cruise that I will be taking starting the end of this month. ANYWAY, now the prognosis for the total knee replacement is 2 to 3 years...wait a minute, you said with this surgery it could postpone it for 10 or fifteen years...what is the deal? Well, you just never know...

Whatever...

The drive home was a long one...we really cannot figure out how to drive in the rain. The City of Austin has passed a new law that makes it a punishable offense to check e-mail or text message, etc., while driving, unless you are stopped at a red light. I hope stopping in traffic is an acceptable time to check things on your phone as well. Anyway, there is no law (yet) that says you cannot compose and take photographs while driving, so here is one of the rainy expressway this afternoon.

Jody and I went to the Filling Station for dinner. I had the shrimp platter, and Jody had the Chili-Cheese Burger. My food was delicious and Jody's looked pretty darn good too. The filling station has several old photographs of Bartlett on their walls, and I am fascinated by them. I would like to have copies of all of them just so I could see where the structures are, and what the look like now.

Nap time...hopefully for about a dozen hours. Deeds, Changes, Actions, Kindnesses...you know the routine. And don't forget to have FUN!

No comments:

Post a Comment