Thursday, January 28, 2010

2010 - Day Twenty Eight...

This day has all the makings for turning ugly. It was pleasant enough this morning when I went out to get the newspaper, and do my morning chores, but it drizzled a little bit on me coming into the office, and it has gotten progressively more rain-like as the day has gone on. I did make it through my Meals-On-Wheels without getting wet, and that is always a good thing. This is a photo of Dennis and Mr. Stan, two of the guys that I hang out with (usually) when we are waiting for the meals to be delivered. It is kind of like just three old guys telling stories and seeing who can make the other ones laugh. I have been doing Meals-On-Wheels for a long time, and I really enjoy it. Aside from the clients that I deliver to, it is folks like Dennis and Mr. Stan that make it a fun thing to do.

I have had just a little bit of a nagging feeling that I needed to confirm that all our our property taxes had been paid, so I called the taxing authorities (we have three different accounts in two counties), and determined that two of the three had been paid, but a little one, $116.43, had not been paid. So I am going to stop in Georgetown on the way home and take care of that. I am glad I followed my instincts about that, and did not let it get away from us. It would not have been a terrible penalty or anything, but they could foreclose for non-payment of taxes if they wanted to, I guess. Anyway, it is all cleared up in my head, and will be further cleared up when I get to Georgetown this afternoon. I made it to the tax office, and I was surprised at how many people were there. I had assumed there would not be too many people because I had no trouble when I telephoned. I did not have any hold time at all, BUT when I got there, they were backed up practically out the door. This office handles all kinds of tax payments, and I was wanting to pay property taxes, but it was really not too bad, less than twenty minutes (I was number 92 and when I got there they were calling number 81). Most everyone was very friendly which is typical for the country, but there was one unhappy British woman (most likely a Sun City War Bride) and she was not at all happy. But the clerk that was trying to help her just listened and took her crap, and finally the Tax Assessor herself came out and rescued him.

Here is another photo of the progress of the progress. It has made a little bit of progress since yesterdays photo. Again, I am not against progress, I just do not want it to be so close to me. Whatever...

We are going to the Filling Station for dinner tonight, so I expect I will take another photo from one of their archived photos on the walls. We shall see. The Bartlett Tribune-Progress (Serving Central Texas Since 1886) reports the Filling Station will be serving BBQ 'Fresh off the Pit until it's gone' tonight, so we are going to see what that is all about. They also report that they sold out last week. I will provide a full report when we return!

Okay, we are back from dinner, and I must say, it was yummy good. I had the BBQ Rib Dinner Combo (Ribs, Brisket and Chicken with Mashed Potatoes and a Salad). Jody had the pulled pork sandwich. They offer two different kinds of sauces (sweet or regular) and to be honest, I couldn't tell a lot of difference). ANYWAY, it was more than I could eat, so I brought home a rib, the chicken and the pickles! I also brought the bones home for the dog-boy. It was a tremendous sacrifice for me to order something with the dog-boy at the crux of the decision. Whatever... This is another copy of the photos they are displaying on their walls, all of them are old photos of Bartlett 'back in the day', but there are no legends as to what the photos depict. Take a look at the guy in the front row, 8th from the right, with the khaki pants and the short sleeved white shirt. That guy either 'reminds me of' or 'favors' my father. Not sure which. He does not look like my dad, but something about him makes me think of my father every time I see that photograph.

That will about do it for today. No freezing weather tonight, but the next two nights will be freezing, so I will have to turn the water off to the pastures. I am moving the cattle to the other pasture on Saturday, so that will take care of their water needs while I am gone next week.

Deeds, Actions, Changes, Kindnesses, Whirled Peas, FUN!

No comments:

Post a Comment