Sunday, January 17, 2010

2010 - Day Seventeen...

Okay, this morning was the start of another great day. We got up, read the paper, I (anally) read all the meters and went into the office to catch up on who might have desperately needed to get in touch with me overnight. Whatever... Jody and I decided we would clean out the Purple Martin houses, but when we got back there, it was too wet and muddy to get into it, so we put it off for another time. Then I thought I would try to clean out a space in the garage so I could put my bicycle and biking stuff in the garage and have it handy. What is it about us, that everything has to be 'handy'? Not sure, but I will take convenience over inconvenience any day of the week. Well, the garage proved to be too much of an obstacle to both of us, so I decided I would clear out a bicycle space in the front shed. Well, there is space, but now I cannot really walk from the shed to the driveway with my bike shoes on because of all the mud and gravel. SO, I have decided to live with some inconvenience for the foreseeable future, and I will make myself happy even if it is not convenient.

Afterwards, I decided to feed the cattle and put out a fresh bale of hay for them. That is always something I enjoy doing. The neighbors cattle were all very curious to see what was going on 'across the fence', and I am certain they are envious of our cattle. Our cattle are truly spoiled (and I think they know it). Anyway, I loaded a bale of hay on the tractor, took it into the front pasture, and then loaded up the Mule with three bags of feed (totalling 150 pounds). I then took the feed and distributed it to the cattle, and while they are distracted, I take the bale of hay into the big pasture and untie it for them, and put the hay ring around it. Mr. Speckles was in need of a quick 'trim' in his private places, so while he was distracted with the feed, I got the scissors and performed a few little snip-snips on him, and that was that. He did turn around to look to see what I was doing, but he was too busy eating to pay too much attention. I am sure, however, that if I had slipped with the scissors, and if there was any blood to be let, the whole thing would have turned out differently. Suffice it to say, this is the second or third time I have had to remove burrs from his delicate spots, and I am still here to tell about it.

After that, I decided to put my 'improved' knee ball to the test. I would have said 'new and improved' but as we all know, the doctor says I still have a few years to go with this knee, and I think if I can get some good exercise therapy with it, maybe I can delay it. The doctor also said that bike riding is actually better than walking. OKAY! So, I dressed and saddled up and took off on the bike. My intention was to do a slow and easy five miles, but I ended up doing just about eight miles. I am pretty impressed to have had knee surgery less than three weeks ago, and today I was on my bike, and I am not in any agonizing pain. I could probably have gone further, but I do not want to push it for now. I think I will try to do a few miles every other day or so for a while, just to see how things go. But, for now, I am pretty happy with the results.

Jody and I had lunch, and we finished off the quiche. He had made me the quiche for breakfasts a couple weeks ago, but I am on a binge of bagels for breakfast right now, and I did not want the quiche to go to waste. SO, it is all gone now, and I can have my morning bagels without the guilt, thank you very much! After lunch, I went outside to put my bike up, and to change clothes. While I was out there, I decided to rearrange the yard furniture, so I can get the Mule in and out of that area a little easier. It is a lovely shady place at the front of the property, where Aunt Mary used to live. Aunt Mary is the lady that used to own this property years and years ago, and she had a small house up in the front. We still have some of her antique rose bushes up there, and the hand dug well is still there and still holds water. Anyway, it is a lovely place to sit and think of the world happenings, or just get lost in the quiet. I love it up there.

AND, there are some big old gnarly trees up there as well. I like sitting under the trees and looking up into the sky. Old gnarly trees fascinate me. I read something in the paper this morning, that has had me thinking about it all day. Human beings are the only creatures that know they will eventually die. I think that is something really interesting to think about. We go by cattle out here all the time, and they are so interesting to look at, but they have no idea (I don't think) of the fate that awaits them. Can you think of anything except us that has the ability to reason and KNOW that from our first breath we are just that much closer to our last breath? Interesting...

Deeds, Changes, Actions, Kindnesses, Whirled Peas, FUN!

No comments:

Post a Comment