Sunday, January 16, 2011

2011 - Day Sixteen; Sunday...

'It's raining, it's pouring
The old man is snoring
He went to bed and he bumped his head
And couldn't get up in the morning'

The rhyme is believed to have originated from Ireland during the commonwealth period (1649-1660) and the dictatorial conditions in the country at that time.

The poor weather conditions in line one reflect the genocide committed against Irish Catholics whilst the last three lines are most likely a wish that Oliver Cromwell, the Lord Protector of England, will die in his sleep.

I have always been a little bit suspicious of nursery rhymes and their underlying meanings. You never know what you will find out when you are looking for rain facts on the Internet. It is STILL raining here, but I think it may actually stop in the next month or so. One of my FaceBook friends is hoping it will rain forever, since the rain seems to be helping her 'cedar-fever' issues. BUT, as I look out the office window at home, I am watching chickens with feet several times their normal sizes, and pretty much everything we try to do around the house ends up with more stuff covered in mud. It is a little bit brighter today than it was yesterday, but I am truly looking forward to seeing the sun sooner than later.

After egg-loaf this morning, I got all industrial and decided to vacuum (part) of the house. Our housekeeper was sick this week, and we tend to track a lot of 'stuff' into the house, so vacuuming was in order. I did the parts we inhabit mostly, and I am pretty impressed with my efforts. I even arranged the pillows on the back of the couch into a very uncomfortable and impractical design, which is what Sara likes to do every time she visits. I did not however, hide personal grooming items from ourselves in the bathroom, which is another thing she likes to do. I did not want to get too carried away with the whole thing. Jody may make a determination that Sara is no longer necessary, and we cannot have that! I am really not that good at vacuuming!

Jody and I decided to go into Salado to give the Dairy Queen there another chance. The lady that seems to be running the place has obviously not smiled since the last time we were there, and I am starting to think she is working on a Guinness Book of World Records entry. How can you work at a Dairy Queen and not smile? That really seems to me to be the good life. Did you know that one of my first real jobs was at a Baskin-Robbins store in Southgate, Michigan? My love affair with ice cream began long before that, but that job did not help matters at all.

Jody is outside with the dog right now, and the chickens are surrounding him, expecting they are going to be fed sooner than later. AND, he just picked up a dead Meadow Lark off the table on the porch. It obviously crashed into the window and some point and that was the end of that bird. It happens more often than you would expect.

I collected four eggs from the girls this afternoon, and interestingly, their large water reservoir was laying (upright) on the floor of their coop. I have no idea how that happened, the container is suspended from a chain up off the floor, but it has not been re-installed and all is good. This week, either Monday or Tuesday, we will have collected our 500th egg from the girls in just under seventeen weeks of egg production. That will make an average of close to thirty eggs per week, more in the warm weather, less in the cold weather. Incredible. Talk about your basic sustainable resources!

We are heading to Mimi's Cafe tonight in Round Rock for dinner. I checked out their menu on line, and they have a Prix Fixe menu that sounds good, but I am also kind of interested in a great big slab of dead meat. Hmmm...

Deeds, Actions, Changes, BIG SLABS O MEAT, Kindnesses, Whirled Peas, FUN!

No comments:

Post a Comment