Sunday, September 21, 2014

2014 - Day 264/101 - Sunday...

While I am not totally convinced that this is an editorial statement being made by Orchid and her new (I believe heifer) calf, it is totally possible.  Orchid has never been the friendliest of the original three head that we got when we had the place in Red Rock.  She has always been a pushy broad, and not likely to be sociable.  Eleven months ago, she had a still born calf, and I was not sure if that had caused some damage, and whether or not she would have another calf or not.  BUT, as I reported to you last week about this time, she was carrying around a full bag and there was a waxy residue on her teats; a sure sign that she was about to drop a calf.  Interestingly as well, this is the first calf we have had this year, so that has been a while.  Violet had a calf late last year, so there should be a couple more before the year is over.

All I did today as to go back and check on the cattle, see if I could find the short in the fence (could not find it but it came back to life and that is really all I cared about), took a bunch of pictures of Orchids' new calf, cleaned the chicken coop and changed all the cedar shavings in the nesting boxes and killed the inhabitants of a particularly nasty nest of red wasps.

I also watched Mrs. Miniver on TBS (boo-hoo).  Never saw it before, it was pretty good, but not sure it was an Oscar performance for Greer Garson.  AND, there was a noticeable lack of naps today, for which I will do my best to make up this evening.

Jody and I finished The Roosevelts mini-series last night, so we are now free between the hours of 7 and 9 PM for the foreseeable future.

Deeds, Actions, Changes, NEW CALF, Kindnesses, Whirled Peas, FUN!

No comments:

Post a Comment