Sunday, September 28, 2014

2014 - Day 271/94 - Sunday...

I was innocently going about my business this morning, looking for something up in the front barn.  What I was not looking for was a snake.  The second thing I was not looking for was a DEAD snake that did not look that dead at the time.  The third thing I was not looking for was a dead rat snake that apparently died from ingesting (although not that well) two of the nest eggs from the chicken nesting boxes.  Yes, I had walked through the front of the barn to the chicken coop and smelled something dead (that was at least a couple weeks ago), but it is really not that unusual to smell dead things out here in the country on the edge of nowhere.  Who knows, it could be a dead mouse up in the rafters or a dead something under the floor of the barn.  Whatever, dead smell is dead smell, live with it.  Anyway, this is what a dead snake looks like after you have chopped it into three pieces and slit it open to retrieve the glass nest eggs.  This is the second rat snakes in so many years to meet its demise as a result of taking the nest eggs.  The first endured (not so well really) a slow and (probably not pleasant) death that included a variety of weapons on my part, including but probably not limited to lopping shears, hoes, hammers and rose bush trimmers.  This latest instance was totally caused by the snake, I had no part of it.  The retrieved nest eggs are now floating in a bucket of water in the barn, hoping to get the digestive tools of the deceased snake cleansed off them.

I hope you have a great week!

Deeds, Actions, Changes, SNAKES, Kindnesses, Whirled Peas, FUN!

No comments:

Post a Comment