Monday, May 25, 2015

2015 - Day 145/220 - Memorial Day...

I could successfully (perhaps) compete with many of the photos and videos that friends have posted regarding the flooding and its' aftermath. My friend Bryan lives in Spicewood, and he had video of hail and raging driveways. My friend Susan who lives in Belton posted a photo os her storm shelter and it looked suspiciously like a wine cellar that you could find at the George V in Paris. Lots of pictures of flooded pools, lots of pictures of radar screen shots. I could have posted a photo of a bunch of chickens knee deep (chicken got knees?) in water doing turkey impersonations, or the neighbors cattle looking for a 'less wet' place, but instead, I have chosen another picture of Maddy, post-anxiety-stricken, crowding me out for prime space in the big blue chair. Just between you and me, she is wider than she looks.

In my daily CDO efforts to keep track of all things recordable, I was not able to take a reading of the water meter, because it is underwater. There are lots of things out here that are under water. I was able to get the rest of the grass cut in the front of the house this morning, and it is a riot of ruts and trenches, kind of artistic in a cubist kind of way (if you squint just right). But at least it is done.

We did take to the inner bathroom for about 45 minutes this afternoon when the local weather prognosticators predicted imminent doom (predicted to hit the bullseye in 16 minutes. I went out to the shelter to make sure there were good batteries, dusted off the chairs and picked up two dead snakes (JoeMac) one of which I know for sure has been in there for a couple years. The other one was much more pliable. But I digress...Jody decided that we would be just fine in the bathroom, so that is where we went. I was at least prepared; umbrellas, flashlight, jackets, emergency radio (complete with crank operating options and built in red flashing light), the girl dogs leash and my cell phone.  But alas, we were luckier than many, and did not even lose power. The power did flash for a second (I can tell you exactly how many digital clocks are in this house AGAIN), but otherwise, it is just humid and swamp like this evening, here on the edge of nowhere.

Have I mentioned lately that I am the luckiest person in the world (Jason)? Well, I am, and we are all luckier than many that have been harmed in so many ways by all this severe weather.

And I have to finish this so I can go watch Antiques Roadshow.

Deeds, Actions, Changes, RAIN, Kindnesses, Whirled Peas, FUN!

No comments:

Post a Comment