Friday, March 20, 2009

Day Seventy Nine...

Well, this has been kind of a traumatic morning. I did not sleep worth another freakin' flip last night, and when I did become upright again, I was concerned about herding the herd into the barn to get them ready to go to the vet. Everything went better than I actually could have imagined, which I really should have expected since I TOO will do just about anything for food. Even the littlest of the cattle (that would be baby Dude) go in the trailer with not too much trauma. It is the littlest ones first ride in a trailer, so I am just a little bit nervous. Jody (not my Jody, the other Jody) and his wife Tonya and their son Patrick came out to gather up cows this morning, and they said our cattle were the best looking and the healthiest looking cattle they had seen this year. That really made me feel good, because I am constantly in this learning curve process to make sure I am doing the right thing by our cattle. As you are all aware, we just think of them as really big puppies, not cattle.

So...it will be shots and vaccinations and whatever else is needed in the bovine world all around, and I think we are getting two new cattle this afternoon, a cow/calf pair AND THAT WILL BE THE END OF THAT! No more cattle, except our off-spring of course. And Jody and Tonya and Patrick will be coming back with our herd late this afternoon or early evening, and they are going to stay for dinner with us. Tonya is also going to help me get my paperwork done on the herd, of which I am only a year behind. Oh well...

Okay, so all is well, and all the cattle are back home, I do not really think they were too thrilled with the shots and all the commotion, but they are back home and look to be making a speedy recovery. We do have a beautiful new cow/calf pair, the cow's name is Mimmie's Moonbeam and the calf does not have a name yet, so let your imaginations run wild. We may award a prize for the best name.

Tonya, Patrick and Jody (the other Jody) joined us for dinner tonight, and Jody made enchiladas and peas and guacamole and apple pie and ice cream for dessert. It was nice that everyone could stay for dinner, and everyone enjoyed the visit. They are really nice folks, and we value the information they give us about the cattle, and they are always open to answering my stupid questions. I know I can be tedious at times, but it is nice to know they are available to help if needed. Thanks to them for all their kindnesses!

Okay, so it is way past my bedtime, so I intend to have a good nights sleep tonight. I recommend that you all have a good nights sleep, and we will continue this in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment