Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Day Sixty Three...

Okay, well, you might as well just get used to it, you will be inundated with information about the new calf for probably the next seven days, at least. I had baby-calf dreams last night. I think the most critical part of a new calf is the first several days, so my waking and sleeping moments are all about that calf. I went out this morning to check on them, and all was really good. He (it is definitely a he) was bouncing around and happy with the world. I came home this afternoon, and more bouncing, and I saw him nursing his mom and I saw him pee, so it is definitely a bull-calf. He was trying to write his name in the snow, if you can imagine that! He sleeps a lot, too.

I had my car serviced this morning, 60K miles, and not a cheap service either. I also ordered a navigation update for the car, too. I thought it would be inter-changeable with the navigation system in Jody's Highlander Hybrid AND in my business partner Carrie's Lexus...but OH NO, not so quick dude, all those vehicles have different versions of the navigation systems. At least I will be able to share it with my friends Michael and Lynda, they have the same year Prius that I do. It seems like kind of a rip-off that the updates would not work on all the Toyota models, oh well...

Jody came to pick me up at the Toyota dealer, and we went into Bartlett to get his drivers license renewed. I tried to do it on-line, but his license was about to expire, so he had to go in person. We are now all registered with the county to vote, got our vehicles registrations transferred and have our addresses on the drivers licenses change. We are finally all legal again. But...we are living in Williamson County, so that in itself is a challenge.

My friend Roy is going to take the bull-calf once he is weaned. We are going to have him neutered, too, since Roy already has a bull on his property. He just wants him for decoration. It is kind of like when I got interested in the cattle, and I actually wanted to get Bison...everyone can have just plain old ordinary cattle, so if you are going to get something, why not get something interesting to look at? The only caveat I gave to Roy was, this calf cannot become hamburger. I know some of the cattle I breed in the future will become hamburger, but not this one, and not any for the next several years, anyway.

I also talked to the other Jody (of Jody, Tonya and Patrick) that I originally bought the cattle from. He said the drought has caused them to lose 8 cattle from one thing or another. Lots of cattle are being lost in Bastrop County according to Jody, and it is really one of the hardest hit counties in the state as far as the drought is concerned.

Jody and I went to Chipotle for dinner tonight, we had a coupon two-for-one deal, so that was good. We both had the vegetarian bowl, very good indeed.

Okay, I hope you enjoy all the talk about the cattle, and if not, you might not want to check back for a couple days at least! go do your good deed for the day, and report in when you get a chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment