Saturday, March 14, 2009

Day Seventy Three...

Today was cold, gray (or grey) cloudy, cold, damp and cold. Did I mention that it was not a really spectacular day here in paradise? Even so, I did get a few things accomplished, although I more or less just took it easy, and I intend to do more of the same tomorrow.

I did get the cattle fed, and Jody and I went into Taylor to get more cattle feed. In addition to the cattle feed, I bought two small eggplant plants and a variety of seeds; spinach, beets, morning glories and zinnias. The strawberries and the squash and pepper plants we planted last week are doing well, as are the tomatoes. Everything so far has survived the rains and gray skies very nicely, thank you very much.

Today was the first day I have seen the bull calf (Official name will be JB Orchids Square Dude, Dude for short) and he is doing really well, too. Hard to believe he is less that two weeks old, and can survive in cold temperatures, rain and mud. No signs of wear-and-tear, though. They were all happy to have some feed. I went back to look at their hay situation, and it was pretty well depleted, so, in preparation of putting out another bale of hay tomorrow, I wanted to move the hay ring. All around the ring, the cattle have worn down the grass, and it was really muddy. I found the least amount of mud and got the hay ring on its side, and worked the ring like I was a hamster on a tread mill, and moved the ring without getting too muddy. I wish I could have a picture of that. It was kind of fun, really.

On the way back from Taylor, we stopped at Tractor Supply, and got some play toys for the dog and the new kitty. The cat likes to play with things, but I think the dog is just kind of jaded, and prefers to lick plates and sleep (I wonder where he got that from?). Anyway, it was a great day, and all is well that ends well.

For your good deed today, see if you can find a friend that you have not talked to in a while, and call them up and ask them if they would like to join you at a movie tomorrow. You can make plans for the matinee and save a bunch of cash. There is bound to be something playing that you could both agree on. Then maybe you could stop and have a nice cup of hot chocolate afterwards. It will be fun! Go ahead, make the call.

No comments:

Post a Comment