Saturday, November 28, 2009

Day Three Hundred Thirty Two...

Well, I would believe that, even the most jaded of us would have to admit, it is not every day that you see a giant cow in a Santa Claus outfit...even if the giant cow is (probably) some high school kid earning minimum wage in a Chick-fil-A cow outfit in Georgetown, Texas. Jody and I went to Chick-fil-A on a quest for a mint chocolate chip milk shake. Our friend Mike in Florida had told me they were serving them when he called on Thanksgiving afternoon. I had intended to surprise Jody with it, but I could not figure out the logistics of the surprise, so I just told him, and we ventured out this afternoon. The milk shake flavor was actually 'peppermint chocolate chip' and that was just fine with Jody. I ordered a 'cookies and cream' shake, and Jody went to find us a seat. The place was packed. Then, out of a deep fat fried fog appeared the giant cow in the aforementioned Santa suit. Of course, since I go nowhere without my camera, I was at the ready. I knocked down several little children and a handful of tweens to get the photo, but it was worth it. I need documentation! The rest of the time was spent mocking the other people taking photos and being gleeful in the presence of a double-knit bovine with invisible udders. My advice to the mascot was simple, 'stay in school'.

It sounds like I am being mean, but I think I am really just tired.

We had our hired man out to work around the house today, and he brought five extra guys with him to work in the yard. The main thing I wanted done was to bury the various water connections around the property in the underground boxes, so they will be protected from freezing, and I will not have to wrap pipes like I did last year. The other men worked in the yard, and dismantled various pieces of wooden structures that had been left behind by the previous owners. The jungle-gym is now gone, as is the 'blown over' lattice work back drop the previous owners had used when they were running the iris farm here. Little by little we are getting things done to suit us, it will just take some time. I also moved the three-and-a-half bales of hay the Micheal baled for us last week, and moved them over with the other bales, so things are looking a little bit cleaner today.

On the cattle front, everything seems to be going well, no issues. I do not think there was a peep out of the two cows that were separated from their calves yesterday. We fully expected to hear from protests and calls for their young, but we did not hear anything last night, and I have been back there a couple times today, and no one seems to be the least bit agitated. All is calm on that front. Orchid's calf was eight months old, so she may well have been ready for him to go, and Daphne still has her first calf with her (Violet was not sired by Speckles, so we are keeping her for our breeding program), so she may not mind either. Anyway, it is all a nice peaceable kingdom in the back pastures.

Tonight is going to be a quiet night, no fire in the fireplace, but quiet none the less. I finished my latest book (Water for Elephants) and I found it to be very good, but I find it difficult to comprehend (this is the chauvinist side of me coming out) that it was written by a woman. I do not feel that a woman could not have written the book, I just would have expected the story to be told from the female characters point of view if it were written by a woman. Okay, go ahead, I am ready...

Deeds, Kindnesses, Changes, Actions, FUN!

No comments:

Post a Comment