Saturday, October 27, 2012

2012 - Day 301/65 - Saturday...

Slept in this morning until about 6 o'clock.  The dog has learned how to complain just loudly enough that it wakes us up, but doesn't really cause any panic.  We think he is just hungry and is ready for breakfast.  I had intended to sleep later, but...

When we moved to this area of central Texas, we really had no idea about the politics of the area.  Now that we think about it, we did know that a train (several cars worth) stayed in a railroad crossing for about six weeks blocking the main street of the city.  No understandable reason why they could not move it.  But since we have been here (on the edge of nowhere which is further than the center of nowhere), we have followed the goings on of the local politicians with some amusement and a lot of amazement.  We are subscribers to the Bartlett Tribune Progress (Serving Central Texas Since 1886), so we have an accurate and non-biased source of all the information that is worthy of print.  But I digress...

We happened to be driving down the (relatively) main street of Bartlett today, and happened upon this sign in the front yard of a home.  Here we go again.  The political mouthing off has been pretty (sadly) quiet for the last several months, but I am particularly interest in what this is all about.  I will keep you all informed.

Let's talk about state required vehicle inspections for a paragraph or two, shall we.  Every year that the inspection comes due for the truck, I have a bad experience.  We don't drive the truck that much, and the weekends is the only time I have to get the inspection done.  And most of the businesses that can accomplish that task (here on the edge of nowhere) are open only during the week.  Since I try to accomplish a couple tasks at a time, I have gone twice to the same type of rapid lubrication business in Taylor, Texas where there has always been a 45 minute or longer wait.  Both years I have asked if, since I have signed in, I could go the ten or twelve blocks to the feed store, get the feed I want and come back.  NO!  Last year I left, this year I decided to stay.

After a wait of 45 minutes, I was told their computers were down (they said the DPS computers were down but I am not so sure about that), and I could MAYBE come back later in the day.  I was searching for another inspection station (cause for the encounter two paragraphs above), but was not able to.  I went to another concern in Georgetown and was told there was a 3 to 4 hour wait (which means it would take them two hours per inspection if the folks waiting were any kind of indication) and I was resigned to ask Jody to take the truck in on Monday.  BUT, LO AND BEHOLD as we were heading to Chick-Fil-A we passed a Jiffy Lube who had no wait, we were in and out in 20 minutes, and I will be back net year.

DONE!

Deeds, Actions, Changes, INSPECTIONS, Kindnesses, Whirled Peas, FUN!

No comments:

Post a Comment