Tuesday, August 2, 2016

2016 - Day 215/151 - Tuesday...

I can remember one Saturday afternoon when I was growing up in Detroit. I had no idea, but my dad took me into Detroit, which was not that unusual. We stopped at this guys house, and he showed my dad this bike. It was a Schwinn Black Phantom, and in my opinion, he was convinced that I needed to have that bicycle. I ended up with it, and still had it when my dad died. It was a workhorse. I delivered newspapers with that bike for five or six years. I had paper routes for at least 8 years, and that bike alone must have weighed about 40 pounds. It had a HUGE spring in the fork, a light and a horn. A kick stand, chrome fenders and a leather seat that probably came off an old Indian motorcycle. My bike prior to that time was a red Murray, that my mom got me with Green Stamps. We used to get all kinds of stuff with Green Stamps. S&H Green Stamps were like the credit card rewards of the day, a premium you got when you bought groceries, gas and lots of other stuff.

Deeds, Actions, Changes, BLACK PHANTOM, Kindnesses, Whirled Peas, FUN!

No comments:

Post a Comment