Sunday, October 14, 2018

2018 - Day 287/78 - Sunday...1610...

In about the last four to six weeks, as I drove home in the afternoons, a little cemetery caught my eye on the northbound service road, between the Walburg and Jarrell exits. This afternoon, as Jody and I were coming home from some errands in Georgetown, I stopped to take a look. It is the Farmer Cemetery, and it is being Restored and Maintained by the DAR. I am wondering if it caught my attention after (perhaps) they had done some clearing and cleaning of the property. Regardless, there was/is what seems to be an entry beyond the fence and a lane to about mid point of the cemetery lined with Iris. There must be hundreds of Iris lining the lane to the middle and at that point, the Iris make what could be interpreted as a pi symbol across the top of the lane. I would say there are about fifty or so markers, the oldest birthday I saw was 1807, but that marker was not that old. An interesting marker is the one I am including in this post, Martha Dunn, born 1829, died 1899 and at the bottom of the marker the words "She was the sunshine of our house". I think that is very telling. There were lots of markers of children who lived only days or a few years. An interesting place to visit and to not forget the earlier folks that lived around here. Names that I remember on the markers were Farmer (of course) Thwing, Munn, McLeod, Rader, and others I don't recall right now.

Otherwise, I got all my chores done that I wanted to get done. Storms are expected overnight, and the temperatures are supposed to be in the 40s and 50s for the next couple days. And more rain. Most of that is okay with us, as long as it does not hang around too long. Sunshine and 70s are expected by the weekend.

Deeds, Actions, Changes, CEMETERIES, Kindnesses, Whirled Peas, FUN!

No comments:

Post a Comment