Thursday, June 24, 2021

Volume 13 - Day 175/190, 2021 - Thursday

I made it home from the President's Circle conference, and I am really happy to be home. I have not been bitten by a mosquito in the last twenty minutes, and that is a big improvement. I think (I'm not sure) that the girls were happy to have me home, you can never tell with them. I stopped at HEB and got some milk and other necessities (bananas, blueberry muffin, stuffed salmon for dinner tomorrow night), and even had a chance to make it to the book club meeting this evening. It was excellent. Next months book is The Murmur of Bees by Sofia Segovia, and it sounds like it will be a really interesting book. There were plenty of outstanding things happening at the PC conference, but one of my MOST favorite things was getting five minutes to talk with Doris Kearns Goodwin, a historical biographer, historian, former sports journalist and political commentator. She was getting off an elevator as I was getting on (or maybe the opposite, I don't remember), and I asked if I could walk with her. She was very gracious as we walked to her car, and we had a very nice (if unfortunately brief) conversation. I can't tell you everything that we talked about (because it's a secret), but it was fun. She was one of our guest speakers, and I loved her energy and all the pieces of history she has up in her head. SO...that was very fun! Anecdotally speaking, the elevators in the hotel were also named Doris. I think they were twins: Doris Opening and Doris Closing.

No comments:

Post a Comment