Sunday, June 14, 2009

Day One Hundred Sixty Five...

This is a photo of our first official bale of hay that we produced on the farm. I am thinking of having a contest to name it. I am kind of liking Barry or maybe Barbara. It is really difficult to figure out the sex of a bale, but it really looks like a boy to me. What do you think?

This was supposed to be the weekend of rest, but as always, we found lots of stuff to keep us busy. The day actually started out kind of slowly. I worked on my class preparation for Thursday (I have one chapter left to prepare for) and after that we had a leisurely breakfast. I made one of my famous 'egg loafs' this time with three cheeses and English muffins. Yum-goody! After that, we hung about six or eight more pictures in the house, and so now most of the pictures that have been laying around in various rooms actually have a place on a wall. We still have dozens of pictures that are hidden away in bedrooms that we don't use, and I think we will hang those up one or two at a time until we are done.

Then we went out to the shed and got an antique roll top desk out and put it together to take it to the resale place. We also priced about 20 pieces of art to take to the resale shop. BUT before we could do that, I had to get started on placing the soaker hoses around the flower beds so everything will not just literally perish from no rain. Hopefully, that will keep things moist for a while.

After we took the stuff to the resale place, we went to Dairy Queen for our usual 'blizzard fix', and then we went to Chipotle for food to go, which we will have for dinner tonight.

When we got home, I hit the pool and Jody took a nap. THEN, Jody said someone was in the front pasture baling hay. Actually, they had come and raked what was cut yesterday, and then they went to get the baler. It was one of our neighbors Hubert, who said they had to get what the cut yesterday baled before it got too dry. So, I am now on my way to actually having produced some hay for the cattle. The bales are not as big as you might ordinarily see, and that is mainly because our tractor is not a huge tractor, so we need to bales to be small enough that we can move them with our tractor. I am really not interested in trading my tractor in for another one. So, I am just about as happy as a pig in sh*t that I am actually getting hay from our own land, and hopefully we will not need to buy supplemental hay in the future. Now, we still need rain, because we would really like to get another cutting from these pastures before the end of the year. This is a photo of the half-bale we got, and I think I will name this one Junior. The life on the farm is good and wonderful!

Dinner was good, and now it is tome to get back into the pool before we both call it quits for the day. It was hot and I did a good amount of work around the place, so it is time to go back to work and get some rest.

Do a good deed, and have fun while you are doing it!

No comments:

Post a Comment