Sunday, July 12, 2009

Day One Hundred Ninety Three...

Forty one years ago today, at approximately 6 PM Eastern Time, I spoke with my father for the last time. Little did I know I would never speak with him again, and that he would be dead by the time I finished my shift at Montgomery-Wards in Southgate, Michigan.

I was 16 years old, and I had lead a really idyllic existence. In many ways, I still do, but I may have been prepared for the harsh realities of life better than some. I always was blessed with common sense, if not 'book learning'. I had always been a self-starter, but I was not really that great in the academic world. I was always being compared with my older brother who was an excellent student (and still the only person in ALL of our family to graduate from college), but he could not walk across the street without causing turmoil.

I spoke with my dad that evening, and I let him know I had my first paycheck from Ward's. I was making $1.60 per hour, and I had bought a pair of black wing-tip shoes with my haul. Little did I know that the first time I would wear them would be to his funeral. My dad was a hard working guy, a loyal union man, and we talked about my hourly wage. I do not know if he was surprised about how much or how little I was being paid per hour, but he was just glad that I was doing something. I had always had paper routes, but the papers were on strike in Detroit, so I got the job at Montgomery-Wards. To end the conversation, he said he would be by to pick me up at 9 PM when my shift ended.

No one showed to pick me up.

A lot has happened in 41 years. Mostly good, some bad, some awful. I am a lucky man, and I have many things to be thankful for, and I try to remember that every single day of my life. I cannot help but wonder how my life would be different today if my father had not died on that July night back in 1968. I know for sure it would have been different, and that I would most likely not be in Texas, and I would not be happily ensconced with the love of my life Jody. But still, you cannot help but wonder.

So, here is what you should do. Go right now and tell someone that you care about how much you care about them. Do not hesitate to tell those you love that you love them. I do not recall if I ever told my father that I loved him, and I do not recall for sure that he ever told me that he loved me. I do know in my heart that we both did love each other, and we each knew that of the other. BUT, you never know what is going to happen, so I recommend that you put aside any pettiness you may be holding toward those you love, lay down the trivial insecurities, and make sure the people you love know it.

There is no time like the present. Go pick up the phone or go and stop by to tell them how much you care. E-mail is not good enough. You will be surprised how wonderful you will feel about yourself if you just do it. And, while you are at it, have fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment