Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Day Two Hundred Seventy Nine...

JUST PUT YOUR LIPS TOGETHER AND GO MOO! Okay, so this is the rather pastoral scene AFTER the two escaped calves were back in the pasture, the fences were back up, Michale and Hubert's truck had been pulled out of the mud where it had become stuck, and the electricity to the fence had been restored. I have taken a vow...whenever I am going out to the pastures, even if I think I am just going out to check the fences, I will, from this day forward, dress in more than boxer shorts, a t-shirt, a pair of white socks and my pink knock-off crocs. I highly recommend dressing appropriately.

It all started out as just a quick tour of the pastures to make sure the fences were all functioning as intended. We have had rain the past several days, and today was the first dry day, so I wanted to take advantage of that. As soon as I got into the first pasture, I could see two cattle 'outside' our fence line. When I got closer, I figured out is was out first calf (Violet, now about 17 months old) and the steer calf that was born earlier in the spring. I got Violet back in the pasture, but the steer calf (I named him Dude, but he has been pledged to Roy and Sharon, and Sharon has another name for him, and I forget what it is) was not really interested in returning to the group. I ended up calling Michael and Hubert for some help, and they arrived and in about 10-15 minutes we had all the cattle back in the middle pasture. Then the truck was stuck in the mud, but (unbelievably to me) we hooked the Mule to the truck and believe it or not, the Mule pulled the truck out of the mud. For those of you who have not been following this blog, the Mule is a Kawasaki Utility type vehicle, not a Hee-Haw kind of a mule.

Anyway, life is somewhat back to normal right now, but I am not sure if my pink knock-off clogs are ever going to be the same.

Otherwise, today was a nice quiet day. I spent most of the day at the Austin Convention Center, trying to pitch-in to help the Realty Round-Up Committee get things ready for the big event tomorrow. My contribution consisted mainly of sitting at the ABoR booth, giving advice when folks would come by and ask for it, and directing folks that needed some kind of direction. In between tasks, I sat there and crocheted...the Holidays are not that far off!

On the way home from work, I stopped by and had my 80K mile service on my car completed. The miles are just racking up on that car. It won't be long before I have 100K miles on it, and that will be a real milestone for me.

Jody was busy today, he baked some cookies and some pumpkin bread. So much for me wanting to lose some weight...I will suffer through for the cause! Tomorrow will be a long day...I need to leave the house around 6 o'clock, and the Round-Up is not over until 4 o'clock, and I don't really expect I will leave the convention center until about 5 o'clock. SO, it will be a long day. I will let you all know how things have progressed.

Kind deeds, kind words, small changes, whirled peas! Have Fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment