Sunday, April 11, 2010

2010 - Day One Hundred One...

The day began cloudy, grey and misting rain. Maybe rain is too harsh of a description, but if you stood outside for any length of time, your hair would be done for. I started the day be assembling the remainder of the brood hives for the bees, and then I went to the pastures to feed the cattle and take a fresh bale of hay out to them. Along the way, I checked the electric fence, and it was not working, so, as long as I was out there, I needed to check on that as well. I got the cattle fed, and took the hay out and put it in a ring. The pastures are actually drying out a little bit, and that is a good thing. I suppose we actually need some rain, but not a deluge which is what started the pasture challenges in the first place. Anyway, the cattle were happy to see me, and I think they actually shorted out the fence...the had pushed one of the fence gates so that it came into contact with the hot wire, and that shorted it out. I don't think they have learned how to do that, I think they were just grazing by the gate and stretched to get a piece of green and pushed on the gate. Who knows? This photo is of two of our three original longhorns, and one of their calves. Daphne, her calf Violet and Orchid. Along with the bull Mr. Speckles, we have had Daphne and Orchid longer than any of the other cattle, although Mimi Moonbeam is probably the oldest of any of our cattle.

What you see here is (was) the beginning of one of my famous egg-loafs. This one actually became a cheese loaf, which is very similar to an egg loaf, but a cheese loaf is made with fried cheese and just a bit of eggs for flavoring. It was not supposed to be a cheese loaf, but it was delicious, and I may have to try one again one of these weekends. We were out of grated cheese, so while I was out with the cattle, Jody grated some cheese and asked me if that would be enough. I thought it was plenty, but the cheese coming out the grated receiver was kind of like a cheese-car. Similar to a clown car, only the cheese kept coming out and I thought there would be no end to it. However, the finished product was delicious, and my be worth another try.

Later on, we headed into Austin. Of course we had to stop at the Dairy Queen on the way for spoilers. I was showing property, and Jody decided he would go along for the ride. We stopped for a couple minutes at the office, and then we headed off to the Half-Price Bookstore, and then off to show property. We were headed back home by about 4:30, and we stopped at Central Market and picked up one of their dinners-for-two (Tilapia, spinach, rice and salad). Yummy delicious.

Finally by late afternoon, the drizzling rain stopped and it was not quite as overcast as it had been all day. The cracker-jack weather prognosticators say it is going to be pretty much the same for the rest of the week. AT LEAST we are not in the 90's or 100's quite yet. ANYWAY, Randy and Irene came over an they were taking some photos of the Iris, so I took a couple (to add to the 100's of Iris photos I already have) and thought I would share this one with you. Hope you like it.

Deeds, Actions, Changes, CATTLE, Kindnesses, Whirled Peas, FUN!

No comments:

Post a Comment