Saturday, April 17, 2010

2010 - Day One Hundred Seven...

Believe it or not, I stayed in the bed (sleeping, too) until after 7 o'clock this morning. Lovely! When I got up, I did my usual chores, and had a nice leisurely morning. Read the paper, had coffee, checked e-mails, all that stuff. Jody made blueberry pancakes for breakfast, and pretty soon after that I was off and on my way to bee class. Today's class was pretty much a representation of the class last Saturday at our house, same people, one extra guy (can't remember his name but very nice). We spent the morning putting together frames and supers, and just having a nice time talking and solving the problems of the world. I left after a couple hours, because there have been some changes to the anticipated bee deliveries, and I needed to make some modifications to my own supplies.

When I got home, in lieu of working on the hives, Jody and I decided to go into Georgetown. We drove down the road I told you about a couple weeks ago, that goes by the park. Jody had told me about these fields of Verbena that he had discovered the other day, and I wanted to see them. As we were approaching, there were a couple cars pulled off to the side of the road, and folks were taking photos of these photogenic mules (or burros or jack-asses or whatever they are officially). So as long as they were posing, I figured I may as well get in on the action. So, the fields of Verbena were very pretty, and the critters did not seem to mind the distractions one little bit.

We stopped at Dairy Queen and had a spoiler, and made it home in the early afternoon. All the forecasts have predicted rain, but so far we have only had a few sprinkles here. We know it has been raining in Austin because we have heard the reports on the radio, but so far we have escaped the rain for today.

Once we got home, I went to work putting the finishing touches on the hives, and I will still have a little bit of stuff to do tomorrow, but everything is under control. Jody pointed out this little ribbon snake that had been on the driveway, but it slithered under his truck. He too was very cooperative so I could take a photo. I think these may be closely related to what I referred to as 'garter snakes' when I was a little kid in Michigan, but not sure. Anyway, he was causing no harm, and they like to eat bugs, so there was no reason to molest him.

Tomorrow morning, I will finish the preparation for the bees, and probably feed the cattle and take them a fresh bale of hay. I will most likely open the back pasture up to them as well. I am supposed to meet the bee-folk at noon, so I will be pretty much wound up until the bees are all happily in their new homes, pollinating up a storm. I will let you all know how that works out.

Wish me luck!

Deeds, Actions, Changes, VERBENA, Kindnesses, Whirled Peas, FUN!

No comments:

Post a Comment