Thursday, November 18, 2010

2010 - Day Three Hundred Twenty Two...

I think trains are really underrated. Several years ago, Jody and I took a trip on the American Orient Express and it was wonderful. Really a wonderful trip. We started in Salt Lake City and ended up in Los Angeles visiting Teton National Park, Yellowstone, Zion and the Grand Canyon. The only challenge with passenger trains (at least right now) is that they run on the same lines as the freight trains, and all the folks on the passenger trains may as well be spuds. The roads are a little rough. AND, they really have to make up for lost time during the overnights! The freight trains have precedence over the passenger trains, and so the passenger trains frequently get (literally) 'side-tracked' while the freight goes by. SO, during the overnights, it is full steam ahead! I remember dreaming that I needed to call '911' because I thought the train was a 'run-away' and we were all going to be killed. Isn't it interesting what memories you can come up with just by watching a train go by? It was great fun, and we met lovely comrades on that trip!

I had intended to stop and get my hair cut on the way home from work, but I called ahead and found out my favorite (Irene) would not be in until 5 o'clock. So, I went home and read the Bartlett paper and went out to feed the chickens. That is when I found out one of the girls had (probably) gotten up on the stacked firewood and jumped the fence into the neighbors pasture. Of course, she could not figure out how to get back, but that was mine and Jody's job. It was really not that much trouble, and a little coaxing with the chicken (evening) food and she was back on her home turf. The bugs are always tastier on the other side! Six more eggs today, and we had four-and-a-half-dozen eggs. We are in the egg giving away business. The egg fairy may be visiting you soon.

After that, we went back into Georgetown and I got my hair cut and we had dinner at the Fish City Grill. Very nice, but they had a musician there tonight, and it is not a large place (and not acoustically correct by any measure) and this one guy had FOUR SPEAKERS and a really glaring spotlight (about two feet away from his face). He was a really talented performer, but it was too loud, AND the ordinary music was still playing through the speakers and they could not figure out how to turn it off. Whatever...

When we got home, I built a fire in the stove, put the girls to bed, and noticed we had a message on the phone. Pauline had been by and left us a cheese-braid in the tool box of the truck. YUMMY! That is just one of the things we love about living in the country. We are lucky, lucky, lucky!

We are getting ready for our friends visit next week, and I am really looking forward to the weekend. I hope you all have a great evening!

Deeds, Actions, Changes, CHEESE-BRAIDS, Kindnesses, Whirled Peas, FUN!

No comments:

Post a Comment