Sunday, June 26, 2011

2011 - Day One Hundred Seventy Seven; Sunday...

Kind of a typical Sunday here on the edge of nowhere. Stayed in bed until about 5:15 and then got up and did chores, bees were fed, all the outside plants were watered, bee fountain refilled, meters read before 7 o'clock. Once that was done, I made Jody and myself an egg loaf, although I only used six eggs. Usually I use seven or eight eggs for the two of us, but it is too darned hot to eat!

After breakfast, I was back out in the yard doing a little this-and-that and Miguel arrived. We went to work building a pen/corral kind of thing out of portable fence panels (in anticipation of the upcoming shots/worming, etc to be conducted this Friday). I had four panels, and when I lured the cattle into that corral, it was entirely too small for the them; in fact, Mr. Speckles was so irritated that he picked up one of the calves with his horns and unceremoniously deposited him in another section of the corral. SO, we were off to Taylor to the Tractor Supply to buy more panels. The size of the corral is double what it was, and I will see later in the week if that is large enough or not.

While we were out there getting things finished, I spied this little wild flower sprouting up in the middle of NOTHING. Just this little quarter-sized bloom springing up from a patch of dirt that is about the harshest condition around here. It just goes to show you that if there is a will there will be a way. It is a pretty little thing!

After we had expanded the corral, a few of the cattle decided that it would be okay to explore just in case there was any creep left in the troughs. Violet loves to have her picture taken, although she is really not one of the friendliest of any of the cattle. She is rather photogenic, however, and she does stand still for the camera. If I did not know she was a cow, I would swear she was a ham!

After this part of the day (Of course, there was a trip into Georgetown to visit the Dairy Queen), Miguel and I tried to organize the feed barn, and then we worked the bees. Miguel is a little bit leery of the bees, but he was not afraid once he got the bee suit on. We worked the three producing hives, and they are miking honey, just not as quickly as I had expected they would be. We will still get a nice bit of honey this year, at least one pull, hopefully two.

We also moved the newest chicks from the cardboard box into a bigger pen, and they are doing nicely. They are really kind of frisky, so we will have to be paying attention to them. I have a small cardboard box in there with them to use as a little protection (my little idea of a cave if they want some security when they are sleeping), but they are jumping up on the box and trying to get out of the pen. Little rascals!

Another cactus blossom I discovered this afternoon. This is another of the spineless cactus on the property, there are two or three different varieties of those around, some were here when we bought the place, some we brought with us from Red Rock. Very pretty, and this variety has pads like a medallion. Very interesting.

I will be teaching Monday and Tuesday, and finished doing my reviews for both days later this afternoon. I will review the second day again tomorrow evening, but all is good, and I don't expect any challenges. Board meeting on Wednesday and a luncheon, and some power real estate on Thursday and Friday.

Then, a THREE DAY WEEKEND!

Deeds, Actions, Changes, CHORES, Kindnesses, Whirled Peas, FUN!

No comments:

Post a Comment