Sunday, June 12, 2011

2011 - Day One Hundred Sixty Three; Sunday...

Another wonderful day of rest and relaxation. Our friends Bruce and Melody shared the morning with us before we headed off to the airport to deliver them for their flight. More about that later...

Last night, just after I headed off to the sack (okay, I'm old!) the doorbell rang, and it was Pauline with a bundle of goodies for us and for Bruce and Melody. Peach preserves (some of them with cranberries in them) and cookies for Bruce and Melody's flight home this afternoon. What a wonderful neighbor Pauline is, and combined with Hubert and our other neighbors Randy and Irene, we could not be luckier!

How do you like my melon? You wanna some melon, senor? As I was out watering this morning, I took a can full of water out to the (until now unidentified) plant in the circle of the driveway. I knew it was either a cantaloupe or a watermelon, but I was not sure. I planted lots of melons/cantaloupes, and this is the only one that actually came up (in the ground). I have others that came up in hay bales, but that is another story... ANYWAY, I am very proud of this melon, and I hope there will be at least a few more before the season is over.

Bruce and I went out this morning to check on the cattle and everything was fine with them. Sometimes it is difficult to tell Minnie from Daphne at a distance, and other folks have a hard time remembering the cattle's names, but I bet everyone can recognize this particular hoofed animal. Three guesses...

After checking out the cattle, we all had a really nice time talking and chatting about this-and-that, and then we decided we would head off to Georgetown and have some lunch, and then head to the airport.

We got into Georgetown and had a very nice lunch at the Monument Cafe. Jody and I had gone there several times when we first moved to Bartlett, but we were disappointed with the quality of the food and service when they moved from their original location to the new location. We felt it was a problem that success had spoiled them, and they were definitely experiencing growing pains. HOWEVER, today's experience was delightful, nothing (except the wait for a table) could have been better. Excellent food (all around) and excellent service. A very nice experience. They also have opened their 'maze' (still needs a little work and some time to mature) as well as their farmers market (which is inside a large warehouse type building and air-conditioned). They also have what looks like it will be an outdoor seating area with a lovely long-and-narrow water feature. Don't remember if I saw any koi in the pond, but there were some lovely water Lillie's, and I thought I would share this picture with you.

We got Bruce and Melody to the airport (in PLENTY of time for their flight) and then we headed back home by way of Georgetown (again). I needed to stop at HEB to get some sugar for the bees and some batteries for flashlights. Jody also needed to stop and pick up a few things, and then we headed off to Dairy Queen. It's the weekend, okay?

We got home and we both went down for a nap. We decided we were not eating anything for dinner tonight, if either of us got hungry we could forage for something, but we had both eaten so much while Bruce and Melody were here, neither of us were really hungry.

After the news, I sat down at my desk and did some work, and noticed that Hubert (I thought) was in the far pasture baling hay. I went back there (I love to watch this process) and it turned out Pauline was raking the grass and Hubert was baling. I was sitting in the Mule with my feet up watching. I am one lucky son-of-a-gun!

Tomorrow will be another work day, and it will be a full week this week. I hope I will be able to cope. The last several weeks have been partial weeks, and I have become spoiled.

Deeds, Actions, Changes, THE GOOD LIFE, Kindnesses, Whirled Peas, FUN!

No comments:

Post a Comment