Thursday, June 16, 2011

2011 - Day One Hundred Sixty Seven; Thursday...

Tomorrow is Friday, can you picture me doing my little happy dance? Well try!

Last night when I was putting the girls to bed, I noticed the moon-rise, and it was particularly pretty. It is not easy to get good photos with a little digital camera, and even if there were a way to do a long exposure (like in the old days) I would not know how to do it, because I have not read the book. BUT, I think this is a decent photograph, and you can get the general idea. When I got up this morning, the moon was setting, and it was another beautiful sight, but it was pretty darned dark out here.

I got everything watered and managed to remember to turn the water off so I did not waste thousands of gallons of water again. I have to be more careful. Even in the dark I could see this giant Mallo bloom, and I waited until the sun came up a little better before trying to take a photo of it. The morning glories are doing nicely, they are beginning to cross the arbor, and the hyacinth bean that John and Susan gave us (named Pops) is doing very nicely. Once it started crawling up the lattice on the gazebo there has been no stopping it.

This photo was taken on my way into the office this morning, going down CR 972 just east of the Interstate. I expect I will have to get gas tomorrow, and I will have over 1,100 miles on this tank of gas, and hope to be a little better than 145 miles per gallon. There is no telling though...just when you are doing some hyper-miling, something comes up and your stats get thrown way out of control.

On the way home from work this afternoon, I stopped and picked up these four chicks. They are Ameraucana chicks, all the same breed, just with various different markings on them. Hopefully, they will grow up, and they will lay blue eggs. Here is a little bit of information about them...

Ameraucana: The Ameraucana breed was derived from blue egg laying chickens, but they do not have the breeding problems inherent to Araucanas. In addition, rather than ear tufts, they have muffs and a beard, and are very hardy and sweet. They lay eggs in shades of blue, and even have blue (or "slate") legs. Less rare than Araucanas, they are still quite rare and only available through breeders at this time. They should not be confused with Easter Eggers, which can lay blue and green eggs, and do not conform to any breed standard. However, many hatcheries continue to call their Easter Eggers "Americanas" (and other various misspellings). If you are interested in showing your birds, make sure that you have true Ameraucana or Araucana.

So, it will be interesting to see how this all works out. I may go and get two more tomorrow, time will tell...

Deeds, Actions, Changes, NEW CHICKS, Kindnesses, Whirled Peas, FUN!

No comments:

Post a Comment