Saturday, July 4, 2015

2015 - Day 185/180 - The Fourth of July...

I hope you are all enjoying your Holiday!

I will save you the photographic details, but for the second year in a row (maybe I skipped last year, I don't remember), but positively for the second time since we have been living on the edge of nowhere, I killed another rat snake (or chicken snake, or next egg eating snake in this case). I was out gathering eggs this afternoon, and was surprised that there were three nest eggs missing, and I could not find them anywhere. When I looked under the nesting
boxes, I could faintly see the snake coiled up under one of the boxes. I got the snake out (carefully listening for any signs of rattles, not being particularly brave OR stupid), and hearing none, got the snake outside of the barn, fetching a pair of hedge trimmers along the way. The first set of hedge trimmers were pretty successful at immobilizing the snake, and the second set did the trick for causing his head to separate from the rest of him. From this photo, you can see one of the bulges of nest eggs, I have another photo (topless) where you can see the three egg bulges. Tomorrow I will work on retrieving the next eggs from the carcass.

I had originally intended to show you documentation of me and Jody enjoying a trip to the local Dairy Queen for Blizzards, but you know, rat snakes trump a Dairy Queen Blizzard every time.

Stay safe out there.

Deeds, Actions, Changes, DEAD SNAKE, Kindnesses, Whirled Peas, FUN!

No comments:

Post a Comment