Saturday, March 19, 2016

2016 - Day 79/287 - Saturday...

Of course, tonight at about 11:30 Central Daylight Saving time, it will officially be the Vernal Equinox. I heard (most of you are smarter than me but I had never connected the dots) on the radio this evening that Equinox is Latin(?) for equal night, and thinking about it, that makes perfect sense. I could have probably gotten that right if it was a Double Jeopardy clue, but I had just never considered it. I knew what 'equinox' was, jut never considered the root of the word. Okay, I was totally distracted...let me try to get back on point. Tonight officially marks spring, and there is the threat of a light freeze tonight in the Hill Country. It has been in the 90s for the past couple weeks, and the arrival of spring is marking a cold front and plunging temperatures. I do not think it will be very bad, the Iris are blooming, the wisteria is glorious up by the road, and the roses I planted last spring are doing nicely. This particular rose is of an antique variety, and it is allegedly of a family that survived the flooding in New Orleans during Katrina. Lots of flora did not make it after the hurricane and then the flooding, but this particular variety of rose did just fine, thank you very much. I especially like it because it blooms in clusters, and it looks like a naturally done nosegay. Jody says that is kind of common for antique rose varieties. I planted two different climbing roses, and they are both doing very nicely; the yellow rose I planted is not quite as robust as this one, but it is covered with buds. I am hoping they will meet in the middle of the trellis and put on a nice show in the summer. I may have to replace the morning glories with roses, I am going to give the glories one more year to see if they do anything, and then I may have to reconsider.

I put in a pretty full day today at the office. We are down-sizing the office, and we have acted like alligators for the last five or six years; spreading out to accommodate our environs. Lots of papers recycled, lots of trash trashed, lots of files taken to storage. I am going to give it another go tomorrow, and I think that will pretty much clear my part of the move. We will have some furniture to sell and tidying up to do, but after this weekend, we should see the light at the end of the tunnel (and we will all just hope that it is not a train heading in our direction.

Deeds, Actions, Changes, ROSES, Kindnesses, Whirled Peas, FUN!

No comments:

Post a Comment