Friday, May 20, 2016

2016 - Day 141/225 - Friday...

We planted the grape vines about four or five years ago, and they have been pretty productive the last couple years. The challenge is getting out there to them before the birds or other critters get to them first. They do not seem to hold the charm (or the great taste) that the grapes from my childhood do. Where we lived when I was growing up, not everyone had indoor toilet facilities. I don't know if they had indoor sinks or indoor water, I just don't remember. But they did have out-houses. We were the newbies, we had indoor plumbing. But I digress... The neighbors behind us and one house over (the Grants) had an outhouse, and they had grape vines growing on the trellises outside the outhouse. As kids, we would always be interested in sneaking over and eating the grapes. I had no idea then, but now I know that concord grapes (purple ones) have a little natural coating on them; think like someone had lightly dusted them with flour or something. Anyway, Mr. Grant put the word out (we heard it through the grapevine), that the powdery stuff on the grapes was poison, so we should not bother his grapes. It may have been poison or it may not have been, but we ate the grapes anyway, after a quick rub on out t-shirts, and we are still alive to tell the story. Not sure if anyone else remembers that or not, but I do.

Okay everybody, let's hear it for Friday! Onward to the weekend! It has been a busy week, full of recovery and catching up. Next week will be a busy one as well, but maybe not as much catching to be done. Today I had three meetings at the Board; 8:30, 11:00 and 2:00. That kind of makes a long day, and the breaks in-between the meetings were not long enough to go anywhere, but there was time to make phone calls and I was a little bit productive.

Deeds, Actions, Changes, GRAPES, Kindnesses, Whirled Peas, FUN!

No comments:

Post a Comment