Tuesday, July 17, 2018

2018 - Day 198/167 - Tuesday...1577...

I will readily admit this; I believe I am socially irresponsible and out of touch with reality. Admittedly, I am a snob. It has been YEARS (how long have I been married?) since I have been in a seedy bar close to Sixth Street (the entertainment district) in downtown Austin. I was invited to and attended a fund raiser for a friend of mine, Celia Israel, who also happens to be a Texas State Representative and is running for re-election.None of that has anything to do with the comments I have previously made or will make beyond this point in this journal entry. The intention is to focus on my total awkwardness in unfamiliar social settings and the realities of diminished health department inspections.

So there I was, on time (5 P.M.) for the fundraiser, so I just made it around the block a couple times so I would not be first, and I walked in the doors at about 5:05. I was greeted by some volunteers (I know one when I see one), and greeted Celia before venturing into the men's room. OMG. Did you get that, I said OMG. I actually did not say that, because I find it difficult to hold my breath and exclaim at the same time. Honestly, it is not as bad as I am making it sound, but I ask you to refer to the second sentence in the first paragraph of this post. I am a snob. Anyway, I ordered my diet Coke and proceeded to lean up against a wall. I am pretty sure I have been in this particular bar before, sometime in the late 80's, but my memory of those times is somewhat foggy. As usual, I stood there like a lump until there were a few other people I recognized and went and shared a couple stories, and then I left.

In and out, nobody got hurt. Life is good, I am the luckiest person in the world, and I walked in the door at home greeted by the familiar aroma of Pine Sol. It was housekeeper day today, and all is right with the world.

Deeds, Actions, Changes, EAR PLUGS?, Kindnesses, Whirled Peas, FUN!

No comments:

Post a Comment